What's new

a tale of two peppers....

omg they are looking so evil LOL

IMG_2108.JPG

wish they would start turning color though.... getting worried I got them started too late
I am getting some color, but it doesnt look like the other pics i see online

IMG_2110.JPG

most pics i see is the green then a nice yellow, then bright orange, then finally flame red...

(both pics are of same plant btw)
(one grower said they sounded like the Chocolate Bhut Jolokia, but I didnt have pics at the time to show him. I didnt order the Chocolate, nor was they listed where I got the seed... sooo I dunno. It is a natural varaiant... maybe I just got ummm "lucky" LOL)

???

evil looking i tell ya!!!!! LOL

Last edited:

GrowinOld

Not Growing Up!
A plastic "tent" using wire/sticks & plastic or glass sheets set over the plants (not touching) will provide the heat & 'extended summer' the plants may need, & ripen the pods & turn up their heat nicely.
That, or it will cook them to death! :-O

Just a thought!
Hope all is well there!
Paul

[Oh yea, if they are like many other plants, bringing them indoors & putting them under some hot-high intensity grow lights with a longer light period, will get them to grow more & extend your growing season. Cutting the light back again will encourage more blooming & fruiting too. Some plants can deal with this & respond well, while others slowly decline. But if you don't mind a little work, it can be well worth the effort.]
If nothing else, bringing them into a frost-free environment may provide you with a head start in the late winter/early spring.

Last edited:
paullllllllllllll

you drive by poster you!!!!

(leaving the porch light on.....)

mini hoop house made from PVC ribs with clear plastic stretched over. sort of a mini high tunnel. Will capture more heat towards end of season. just also increase humidity and may make some foliar fungal diseases more of a problem (powder mildew and anthracnose). Might get you a few more weeks after it starts getting cool. could add a container of water inside it to add thermal mass and protect from light frosts. sort of creating the "wall of water" ghetto style....

the oldest pepper on the vine is now a brilliant orange

Houston, we have color :)

mabudon

Metal King
yeah no worries on the colour, Butch, I wouldn't have started worrying til october to be honest. My habaneros are still all green.

I would think that maybe the seeds you got were cross pollinated. There are a bunch of superhot peppers that are not yet stable so seeing weird results is not much of a surprise, especially since the listing seemed somewhat muddled as to exactly what the peppers were.

Them pics show what is pretty much guaranteed to be a very very hot pepper so do be careful. I just found some dried Ghost Peppers (the common yet totally incorrect name for the whole Naga/Bhut Jolokia "complex") and am eager to see how they stack up to my usual habanero and scotch bonnet experiences

Mab,

Thanks mate, that makes me feel better... I was getting worried.

I took a little nibble, I couldn't resist any longer...

Hot is a freaking understatement!!!
Very good flavor that is truly unique with heat that feels like your tongue is in the middle of a pyroclastic flow.
It is unlike any pepper I've ever eaten before (heat and taste).
It also has sort of a Wasabi twang to it..... very complex flavors.

Seductively wicked with the kiss of a beautiful woman then almost immediatly.... the kick of a freaking mule.

Very good indeed, it will make some great Salsa Verde :)

Last edited:
Not to jump in to your thread off topic but looks like my first butch t peppers are on their way!

Yours are looking good. And great description of their taste... I'm expecting similar with these bad boys....

IMG_20110907_174042.jpg