What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaarg!!!

Ok, today I bought a vft from the same store that i bought my other ones from. This one was a different brand. It is probably just as old as the others were... My non-new ones are flopyish, not red, some leaves die too fast, new leaves sprout up with dead traps... They are not spindly light hungry leaves, just really really... blah. The new one has strong tall leaves with massive traps, with red insides... What is the problem here??? Their growing conditions are fine... not optimum, but they are good enough to make a healthy plant...

Should I repot my two floppy ones??? What??

Don't repot it will cause them more harm. They are suffering from low humidity. So put the lid back on and then after a couple of days begin to slowly take it off.

I would consider them to be in the VFT ICU (Intensive Care Unit). Take cae of them but keep in mind there is a mortality rate for plants that are sick. If you lose a plant, replace it with a nice healthy one from here.
smile.gif

Just keep it near the VFT's that are doing well. Like you said the growing conditions are good enough if you have other healthy VFT's. Sounds like the plant may be suffering some form of stress. Give it at least two weeks and try to keep the humidity up. VFT's can die right back and when you think it's dead it pops up a new shoot
smile.gif

I don't think humidity is too much of a problem.

I assume you let them go dormant during winter. If they never have been repotted, you might want to try it. If the place where you got them watered them with tap water, there might be a build of a minerals which is having an effect. It's only spring so repot them in a 2:1 peat/sharp sand mix.
Where are you keeping them?

They are on my desk in front of my window. I keep their water tray full of rain water, and i dont water from above (often... i do once every one or two weeks just to give it a bit of a rinse...). My window points west, and I have a regular sixty watt plant bulb fromt he grocery store pointed at them...

When ppl say peat.. I read in Savage garden taht it has to be sphagnum peat, not just peat. My bag says just peat. I havent used any for my plants y et, is it still ok?

If it doesn't say sphagnum peat it's probably not... I'm not sure if that's bad but I do know what's good, sphagnum peat. I wouldn't take chances, get what you know is good.

Grr, I've put my three "un-domed" VFTs in a terrarium... It actually, makes more room, funny...

Back