What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ahhh!

something is ravaging my VFT!!!
all of them are starting to become black and the new traps are shriveled up and have black spots on them
i looked at saw some litte black flies.
could these be the one causing this mess?
Plz Help me!!!
Hellz

I'd say that a little black fly came along a few days ago and laid a nice big bunch of eggs in the soil so that the larvae could feed on the roots. That may be exactly what happened.

I'd say to completely submerge the plant in water for the time being to drown the little buggers out. The VFT will be fine in the water so don't worry.

If the drowning method doesn't work then you might want to get some instecticide.

If absolutely nothing works you might want to totally repot the whole thing. Superthrive will almost definately be needed to keep it alive after that. You also want to make sure that the roots don't have any larvae or eggs left on them. Then just soak in Superthrive and repot it. Then all that's left to do is wait. But only use that method if the other two don't work. If the first two work then you may want to repot when it goes dormant to be extra sure that you won't be seeing those little pests anytime soon.

The exact same thing is happening to my cup trap... it looks like a fungus problem. I applied some fungicides to the whole plant and it is slowly recovering. Any pictures of the infected plant?

ill try to take pics of the poor things
Hellz

fungus gnats?

Personally I don't know what they look like, but wherever I see them around, I see fungus around...

hmmm... my terrarium has alot of fungus gnats and springtails and some other unknown beastie... i dont have any fungus in my terrarium that i can see anyway. fungus gnats larvea can harm the roots of plants but aren't any danger at all to a healthy plant, ime. they make great fodder for utrics and i alwaybs find the adults on my pings.

one beastie i DO have a problem with is ants!! i was going to give a wrigleyana plant to a newbie, and i was packaging up at night. when i started to seperate the club i was CRAWLING with ants and my arms are covered with blisters right now. i think i'm gonna just leave the wrigleyana alone since the ants will be eaten anyway. i gave the newb something else instead.

Back