What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone planting cps outside yet?

I have a few Sarracenia and Drosera that are hardy in my zone. I must admit I am chomping at the bit to get them outside and in the ground. I am also out of window space and forgot I ordered plants last fall that will be coming in the very near future. Has anyone in the upper midwest begun to relocate any of their plants outside to their permanent locations yet?

This week has been unseasonably warm.  Day temps in the 60's. I realize this will not hold as these are the average temps for early June. Yet on the other hand, I'd like my plants to get the full range of light provided by the sun. And, well... I need to reclaim some space it at all possible real fast.

When is a good time to begin transplanting outside for people from Wisconsin? I am actually in Illinois but am only a mile from the border so my area is most comparable to Wisconsin.

One last thing, some of the plants I have were originally grown in greenhouses and some may have been grown outside. I can't differentiate between the two but all have been in my home in front of windows with supplemental lighting.

Thanks much, Laura

Here in Zone 6 CT, I have almost all the leaf cover off the Sarrs that spent the winter outside.  I'll put my pot of new S. flava 'Coppertop' x self seedlings out in a couple weeks, but will bring it in for any frosty nights.  Put plants in a shaded spot for the first week (mine go up against the north side of the house) and rainy days are the best for the first venture outside.

see aaahh thread:p
i have them in the greenhouse right now, cant move them out till the summer 6" of snow and more coming, anyway I will make a bog/pond this summer

Thank you hereorthere! That gives me a great guideline for the seedlings I have as I am in Zone 5. How are you handling mature plants? Are you beginning to transplant those out into bogs or are you setting pots outside already?

The mature plants are all in pots buried in the ground.  I might move them to their water trays later this week.  Because they've been out, they don't need any transition time before going to their summer homes.  But I'll move the pots for any hard frosts.  Not back into the ground, but either up against the house or into the garage.

Sadly, my plants are STILL not outdoors..
smile_h_32.gif

the days have been warm enough, in the 50's and even 65 a week ago, but the nights are still at freezing or below..
we have a low of 28 forecast for a few days from now..
had a very heavy frost 2 days ago..

I have too many plants to move them all outside in the morning then back inside every night, its not worth it..
so indoors they yet remain.
been out of the fridge 2 months now..:(
looks like at least another week before they can go outside..

Scot

Im gettin antsy myself! Mine have been outside all year round but I would like to buy some new ones. Im thinkin next month (because of my money situation) Ill start buying. If its still a bit chilly which it better not be Ill just have to take them in on cold nights. You might want to start doing that maybe? Just putting them outside durring the day and let them adjust to the outdoor weather. Its been so long that Ive had plants indoors that belong out doors though that I just cant remember the propper ways to go about doin it.

I just put my VFT's, a Sarr., a cobra lily, and a few Utrics outside this past week. I would check out the forecast for the week, though. Colorado is being hit with a snow storm.. The Sarracenias should be alright even if it freezes, briefly. Are the sundews rotundifolia and intermedia? They can take the cold as well.

oh i have! day temps in the high 70's. it's great!

I live in Houston TX.

I leave my Sarrs and VFTs outside year-round.

N. coccinea and N. miranda do well outside in the summer.

I've got a 2'X3' grassy spot between concrete blocks by my front door I am going to convert to a bog garden, and put some native Texas CPs in (S. alata, D. brevifolia, D. capillaris, U. subulata, and maybe P. pumila (if I can propagate those I have now).

Here in So. Cal. my Sarracenia are already flowering and putting up pithcers. Of course, I just leave them out year round seeing as how weather here is a pretty warm compared most of the US.

Hey scottychaos! Very impressive website and I like the way you explained all of your photos, thank you for all the time you spent on that as I picked up quite a few great ideas. I really need to start clicking on the www buttons that people have because your site was absolutely great. I must be missing a lot of good stuff at other people’s sites if yours is representative of what is out there.

Hi Jim, I have one D. filliformis ssp filliformis, one D. intermedia, and one D. rotundifolia that really aren't looking all that alive. Matter of fact, they look pretty darn dead.  

I figured I might as well stick the dead Drosera outside so I did as it certainly can't hurt them.  They are in a washing machine discharge tray I bought a few days ago. The Drosera were in small pots over the winter and I am thinking I screwed up on those and let them dry out in my garage. I thought I was anal but I must have screwed up somewhere over the course of the winter. I checked out the way scottychaos bagged his plants to overwinter them and I will probably try that next year... if I remember.  The plants in the larger pots I had in the garage all over the winter all look fine. I have those same Drosera that are toast in seed though so I should be ok in the way of replacements in about two years. I am definitely sticking those seedlings outside on the patio on or around May 1st. I also have some D. anglica seedlings that will go outside as well as D. capensis. Other than that, I plan on placing every last Sarracenia (exclude the Darlingtonia) seedling outside also.

As of today, I placed virtually every potted temperate CP out on my back patio. I had no intentions of allowing any to bloom this year so I figured the threat of frost wouldn’t affect my plants. I did check the 10 day weather for this area and it looks as if our day time highs will be around 50 and night time lows will be in the mid to high 30’s or low 40’s so getting plants outside was probably a good move. I don’t have a lot of plants so if I see a forecast that even suggests it might freeze, I know I will haul them all inside although it is probably unnecessary. The Darlingtonia is still inside as are all of the Utricularia and Pinguicula.  

I’ve decided I am going to hold off transplanting any CPs directly into the ground right now. The soil is still partially frozen and I had a bummer of a time getting a bunch of small (pint and quart sized) spring ephemerals in the ground today.  I had a two gallon Fothergilla shrub that was definitely a no go as my shovel hit what I thought was rock but it was really frozen ground. Another few weeks, but no longer than a month, and the frost line should be gone.  Good thing too as I have orders coming in and they aren’t house plants.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help

Back