What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids problem

Hey all,
I have a friend who just recently got a couple of sundews (D. Spatulata). But when he brought them home, it turned out they have aphids on them. He turned to me and I had the slightest clue on how to get rid of them. Now I'm turning to you guys for help.

What is the best way to eliminate the aphids on a sundew? Thanks!

I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I like live ladybugs to get rid of aphids. They clean up all my plants and give my VFT's and sarracenias a nice snack. :)

I don't disagree with you, sure it can work.

I don't go for natural stuff. I say nuke 'em with systemic insecticides! Aahahahahaha!!!!

If you want to go "natural" but still effective, use pyrethrins. They are a neurotoxin (to bugs) from some particular chrysanthemum.

My husband just did a lot of reading about aphids because we have some on our grape vine. Apparently lacewings are better at eating aphids than ladybugs. I didn't know lacewings even did anything.

You can just "wash" or "knock" them off your plants...however that might be tricky with sundews. Aphids are farmed by ants, and apparently they use the ants to protect themselves and to move them around, so if you knock them off your plant they can't really crawl back on. Sometimes aphids can grow wings...but I think most aphids are wingless.

You can use an insecticide or you can just smoosh them. Since your friend brought the plants to his house, they have been removed from the enviroment that had the aphids (and ants). Once he kills this batch, he probably won't have to worry about them coming back for a while.

Sorry to ramble on...I don't like using chemicals on my plants, so I do a lot of research for natural remedies. For a sundew though...it might just be easiest to use an insecticide. Lacewings and ladybugs would probably be eaten by the sundew, and smooshing aphids might be a sticky mess. Although...you might could use tweezers to pluck the aphids off and smoosh them.

Those are some options for you...I hope I helped. Actually I just hope this made sense...I haven't had my coffee yet.

Both of the following methods worked for me to remove aphids in the past:

1) submerge the entire sundew in a bucket of rainwater for three days since aphids breathe air

2) use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to get them off the underside of the leaves.

The problem with lacewings is that they make noise at night, rubbing their wings together. I find it annoying.

For small plants like D. spatulata, I would go with Dave S' advice. It is is the simplest, cheapest, environmentally friendly approach - and has been 100% effective for me. I had this happen with D. spatulata, capensis, and adelae. I just took the pot and put into a larger, taller vessel. I then overfilled with deionized water and let it be for anywhere between 2 days and a week. 2 is probably enough. The aphids struggle, float, and eventually die. The plants themselves will look like drowned rats for several days hence, but NONE died and ALL recovered nicely. Try this first. You won't be disappointed!

1 tablespoon liquid hand soap, 1 tablespoon coffee, a full shot of mouthwash goes into a small misting bottle with the rest being water, Shake it up; and it works well for my VFT even killing ants on contact.

Back