What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquatic Utric,

I got this aquatic utric from Copper and it has taken off like a, well, weed!  I would really like to know if anybody has a clue what it is?  It's either U. gibba, U. inflata, U.purpurea, or U. aureaus.  
AquaticUtric2.jpg

AquaticUtrics.jpg

My secondary question is, do you see the little dark blob in the second photo? It's a water snail.  Are the water snails in the jar going to hurt anything?  It seemed like they are doing a good job cleaning up the algae, but if they are eating the plants, I may want to get rid of them

It's not gibba and purpurea has traps on the ends of all the leaf divisions, plus has leaves in whorls, so that leaves the other two. My inflata grows like a weed, but it doesn't look quite the same, so possibly aurea.

Giles

The snails will eat the plant, but with a super fast growing species, that may be a good thing since you won't have to prune it all the time. I don't have any Utrics of my own, but we have lots of wild ones in the lakes of MI. To my recolection, U. inflata actually has a large number of forms so I wouldn't rule it out.

I can't say that i've had any problems with those snails eating my cps. And I'm pretty sure Copper said she leaves them in there too. Except for when they start to get big, she then takes them out. ...and puts them in a fish tank... I think....
Andrew

Sorry guys, I have not been checking all the listings.  I have been very busy with work.  I am so tired.

Snowy, It is a little difficult to tell, but this appears to be the inflata.  I can see some branches that appear to look like those of a crooked tree and that is what the inflata reminds me of.  The inflata is going to get bigger than the aureaus.  It is going to branch further and have thicker branches.  I also find that it tends to be a darker color of green, but that may be due to the lights I uae.  I hope this helps.

The snails do not eat the inflata, aureaus or gibba. They will consume the aldrovanda if the other plants are not there to protect it. Otherwise the other plants cause enough algae production that the snails feast happily upon it. I have found that without the snails my tank becomes rather gruesome.

Thanks, that helps guys.  Any comments on the snails, Copper?

SF

Sorry, look back at the last post. Your not crazy, I modified it.

Snowy, was this the only one that made it? I have way too much again if you need more.

Umm... I'm not quite sure yet. There are some other pieces floating around in there (look in the background), but none have really taken off like this one did. I will PM you.

Back