What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Article on pollinating sarracenia

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
For those of you who don't visit the NASC forum (shame on you!  
smile_n_32.gif
), I just wanted to call attention to the excellent article written by our esteemed Mr. Brooks Garcia on pollinating and bagging sarracenia flowers.  Its pinned at the top of the NASC forum.

It is a wonderful instruction article complete with photos.  Most helpful!

I know it isn't the season for this but we wanted it posted for reference at any time.

Check it out! Thanks.

PAK  
smile.gif

Very well done article. Thanks for the note.
imduff

Great job Brooks!

The only thing I would add is, use an "Industrial Sharpie" marker. The regular Sharpie markers will fade quickly in the sunlight.

Tweek

Hi Tweek

Nice name.
smile.gif
I've never heard of an industrial Sharpie. They really don't fade?

Hi SWAK,

I used the regular Sharpie™ for some seedlings and within weeks, the labels had faded to be unreadable.

I have been using the "Industrial" Sharpie™ Markers since then and have not had them fade.

From the marker label:
"SUPER PERMANENT INK
-Specially formulated ink for industrial, laboratory, and commercial use
-Remains permanent under most chemical washes and extreme heat and steam(up to 500F)"

There is an excellent article on the web about recovering faded labels. A blacklight will sometimes allow them to be read even if no script may be seen.
Under worse conditions, the labels may be scanned in a computer scanner and manipulated with Photoshop and the script may be made visible.

This article mentions the Industrial Sharpie™ Markers. Wish I could claim the idea or the patent.

Great, named for a cartoon character. Some people thought it was a good name for me. Parallels are similar except I drink just a lil' java.

(*Tweek is not a relative, employee, employer, stock holder, salesman or dust sweeper for Sharpie™ Industrial Super Permanent Ink Markers Incorporated)

I am Tweek, and I approve this message.

SWAK. That's a new one.
smile.gif

I'll have to look for that pen. And try out the black light thing. I have one for my fluorescent rocks.

Well we need some more Tweeky people here so you'll fit right in.
smile.gif

Tweek----BUSTED!!!!! Smart after all! Might as well come out of hiding.

Thanks Tweek! I just touch the lables up once in mid-summer. I use pencil on the plastic lables as it does not fade but the lables all have to be replaced about one a year anyway because they become brittle and snap off. I thought about metal because I like to burn off my bogs but all I can find are ready make zinc and copper...both melted in a test.

Thanks Tweek! I just touch the lables up once in mid-summer. I use pencil on the plastic lables as it does not fade but the lables all have to be replaced about one a year anyway because they become brittle and snap off. I thought about metal because I like to burn off my bogs but all I can find are ready make zinc and copper...both melted in a test.

Back