What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B52 vs king henry?

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I've been looking into expanding my vft collection and I've narrowed it down to either king henry or b52. I like the growth style of king henry (tall and "bushy") but they don't seem to have the nice red that b52 has. What do you think? Photos are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Trap redness can vary depending on the light you provide. If you look at some of the photos here, King Henry does develop some good redness.

It seems that B52 is the "classic" large Flytrap that's been around for a while, while King Henry is the new, trendy big Flytrap. Just depends on what you want for your collection!

For me the main difference in the two plants is the length of the petioles. KH develops big traps but it has very long leaf petioles with makes the leaves very long. This makes for a very big overall plant. B52 while producing longer, though not as long as KH, petioles part of the year also produces shorter ones at other times making for a generally more compact plant.

Thanks for the help, I'll probably go with king henry.

I haven't found King Henry to produce very large traps, personally. I do not have a B52 to compare it to in my conditions though.

In two seasons of growing it my "King Henry" plant hasn't produced such large traps either. But I have seen one or two that did. My conditions are not completely optimal, however. It is worth saying that I have found 'B52' to be the more willing to perform for me. In better conditions that might change.

To give you an idea of how big King Henry can get. Pics are all King Henry in a big pot and taken at a local nursery, unfortunately not my pot-o-Kings. Between my own B52's and King Henry's, B52 trap size can get about the same as the pics below but much more red in color.

24534601714_46d9505175_z.jpg
[/url]King Henry by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
24869654410_4f5041ac9b_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_4252 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
24534597354_aaf9e05cd6_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_4253 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
25072015531_86cf463486_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_4254 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
In two seasons of growing it my "King Henry" plant hasn't produced such large traps either. But I have seen one or two that did. My conditions are not completely optimal, however. It is worth saying that I have found 'B52' to be the more willing to perform for me. In better conditions that might change.
My conditions are pretty optimal, they always seem happy. I don't do my dormancy outside though.

I hope one day my plant looks like that...

Back