What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal Shoots

Hi guys, my N. Ventrata has started to send out some basal shoots and I'm wondering what the standard procedure is when these little'uns appear? I don't want the plant to get too big as I've got limited space and plan on getting more neps, so would that mean I should remove them, or simply cut the plant back when it gets too big? I don't have any pictures but they've both reached around 4cm tall.

Thanks for any advice :D

Tom, If you have the room for em now, you can wait til they are a little bigger and make cuttings with them.

Yeh it should be fine for now, its hanging so plenty of space for it to expand into. Im not sure about cuttings later though because I don't want more little ventratas taking up room, although im sure I can find people to take them off my hands! Thanks for the advice :)

Just last night I chopped my Nepenthes thorelii x campanulata vine off (I left the 3-4 basals it had made) and made the vine itself into some 2-3 node cuttings and poked the cuttings back into the original 8" pot. This way they'll root/start growing and I didn't have to waste more space on this particular plant. In a couple months when these cuttings show signs of growth I can easily tease them out in a little wad of moss and trade them off.

Back