What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicals and pitcher size

Hello: quick question. Will bicals produce larger pitchers if they traps form on the ground vs being suspended? Got a bical in a 8 gallon pot ontop of another flower pot (so my dogs don't mess with it) so the traps are suspended off the ground. Was wondering if I lowered it, would the traps get larger?

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

by the way, my plant is about 4 yrs old and the leaves are about 13 inches in length.

Possibly, many other neps create better pitchers if they touch the ground, some will only form pitchers if they rest on something.

I have no idea, but tomatoes put less energy into being sturdy and more into fruit when suspended so... maybe?

Hate to go on a tangent, but if you're looking for huge bical pitchers, BE released 'Sarawak Red Giant' which is available from a couple places and BE claims their plants grow 1' across pitchers.

But yeah, in the wild lowers typically touch the ground before opening. My tendrils that touch the ground begin inflating sooner than the rest, but I can't really say if resting on the ground makes them bigger since my plants are relatively young and each pitcher/leaf is way bigger than the rest anyways.

Thanks guys for your advice. Since our rainy season has started earlier down here in SFL and it is hot sticky and humid already, I have been doing some moving around with my neps. I think I will try my bical on the ground and see what happens and keep you guys updated. Yeah, I saw the big bicals for sale and yep I am severely tempted, but havent fallen for the temptation just yet!!!! :)

I haven't noticed a difference but I also haven't done much as far as trials go, I will have to put some moss in the tank and see if it effects it at all.

Back