What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird of Paradise

Ive had one of these for about 4 years now. I rescued it from my local garden centre for an amazing cheap price (same as a can of pop!!!) The plant is now growing strongly and is about 1.5 feet tall. Any ideas how long this will take to flower? I know seeds can take 10 years before the plant is old enough but this was from a young division. I'm hoping for flowers pretty soon!!! (well next winter anyway!)

This plant is supposed to flower and grow better when it's crowded. My plants don't seem to flower when I repot and give extra room.

I got my plant about 4-5 years ago and it was about 2-3' tall, had 3 growth points in a 1gallon pot for &#363. The plant company I got this from puts a grade for quality of the plant, and this was the lowest grade. When I brought it home I potted them up into a 5 gallon pot, and didn't get blooms the next winter. The first year it flowered it had over 10 flowers. Now it's divided into 3 pots with 3-5 growth points in each pot, they multiply fast for me. I repotted that summer and didn't get flowers that winter since it wasn't crowded anymore. This year is the first time i've seen flowers in 2 years and I have 2 flowers right now. Here are photos:
BOP.jpg

BOP2.jpg

Sometimes the plant flowers again off the old stem if you leave it on, like a Phalaenopsis orchid. But like the phal orchid the flower is smaller thne the last. How big was it when you got it?

Amazing!!!!
My plant was about 8" tall when I got it. I don't think it was a seedling as it was quite thick and they had had some large mature plants in a month or so before. I think it was probably a division off a plant they had wich wasn't doing too well. I got it home and found that it didn't have any roots! I potted it up and it did fine. Its now in a 10 inch pot and there are huge roots about 2 inches thick growing through the drainage holes and cracking the bottom of the pot!

Seems like it's doing great now! Maybe you have a miniature form or something (if they exist). I have seen plants about 2ft tall that have flowers at the garden centers.

Good Luck with your plant!

It's kind of funny when they display plants with the fake flowers in them...

It might be a dwarf form as the plants they had earlier where about 2 1/2 feet tall. I'm hoping its going to be the large form though!

Dyflam, I tell you what I can't stand are those cacti with fake eyes stuck on!

I would LOVE the juncea form (no leaf blades). tried growing from seed, no joy.

I think they sell S. Juncea in a nursery about an hour away from where i live. The nursery is Burford cottage nursery and there is a section called Mulu that sells tropical plants, palms etc. They had young plants for about £12 I think. I can have a look for you next time i am there if you like.

Sorry, I just found there website and it turns out to be
Strelitzea Nicolae.

Back