What's new

Blackened tip on new arrival

Hi,
Five inch rooted cutting of N. x Masteriana arrived with blackened growing point. I snipped it off and put some fungicide.
Any other advice? What are the odds?
This is the third one I have ever ordered and the other two arrived with the growth point snapped off(never recovered for me).

Thanks,

Joe

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
first off, are they all from the same people? if so, id consider ordering from someone else...

Second, how black was it? is there still a growth point? if it's all gone, id say your toast...:-( sorry...

If the growth tip goes black I just snip and go. I've never lost a plant that that has happened to, but I'm sure there is some luck involved. I've snapped off many a growth point before, and my plants have always fully recovered...eventually.

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
I agree with phission, but i was saying if the entire growth tip was black and dead (rotting), then you dont have a great chance...

schloaty

Staff member
I've lost a few growth points in my time, too.

Recovery, I've found, is dependant on WHY the growth point was lost. If it was a pathogen, you may be toast. If it was just shipping stress/physical damage, the plant should make a full recover. As Phis said, eventually.

I woud say black dead and rotting, and well, two differnt places out of three Masteriana.. If I was a superstitious person....
I will see what happens.

Thanks,

Joe