What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bowl terrariums, any good?

Hi, Im wanting to grow the likes of flytraps and sundews, I come from salt lake city, utah which is a fairly dry climate.
Im curious if any of you have experiance with these bowl shaped 1.5 Gallon terrariums, Ive read an article which said they no good but I would like your opinion on this, if this is the case what would you suggest?

Thanx

Sheldon

I would suggest just hardening them off and growing them out in the open. Those bowls don`t provide drainage and can cause the plants roots to rot as well as the media.

I've had a bowl terrarium with 3 VFT's in it for about 6 months, so far they are doing great. When do you think I should transplant the plants so they dont rot?

Hi blak519 thanx so much for the reply, well I was thinking of drilling small holes in the base of the bowl for drainage and setting the bowl on something it can drain into.

I thought this would pretty much solve the problem, if anyone has tried this please let us know.

Thanx

Sheldon

I would just put the bowl upside-down over the plant's pot. This way there will be high humidity, drainage and it'll be easy to remove to fuss with the plants.

mmm, ye true true

Tell me guys, I know VFT's need a dormacy period, do the likes of sundews also need this or would one have to actually seperate the VFT's and the dews for this cold winter period?

Thanx

Sheldon

It depends upon which sundews you have. Could you tell us what you have?

I've never had any trouble with a bowl terrarium. Just put some glass pebbles (well rinsed) in the bottom, then the potting medium on top of those. This method allows for drainage. Keep the soil damp but not soggy. I've had one for a long time and the plants do very well.

Hi guys, this is what is coming with the bowl terrarium:

1 3-5 year old Venus Flytap
1 Dente Venus Flytap
1 Pinguicula (usually P. Primuliflora)
2 Drosera

Thanx for the advice with the glass marbles, will do that as well.

Thanx alot guys

Sheldon

My friend andrew has a colony of Venus Flytraps growing in a fishbowl.

Which droseras?

So far, primuliflora doesn't fit with your flytraps, it's a warm temperate and doesn't need a dormancy. (In fact, I think it doesn't even like the cold very much.)

Back