What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian troubles...

I seem to be having a lot of trouble finding carnivorous plant sellers that sell to Canada. Either they don't ship to Canada at all, or they won't ship to Canada any item under $100 US. I don't get it? I want ONE plant, a venus fly trap. I have seeds, but I wanted an adult plant too. Now I'm not sure if that'll ever happen. I can only hope I guess.

Flytraps are an endangered species and are protected by international laws forbidding their sales across international borders. Also, shipping at this time of season would guarantee a dead plant upon arrival.

You have an alternative; “Dentate” VFTs are the most common CPs found in stores (here in Ontario) along with varieties of pitcher plants. Try places like:

Home Depot
Sheridan Nursery
Wal-Mart
Rona Lansing

The CPs all tend to come from Colasanti Farms (South Western Ontario) who grows them and then make the rounds to all the nurseries/stores to see who wants to stock them. Sometimes, nurseries will order flowers and stuff from the U.S. and some CPs make their way cross border…

My suggestion is to check in the spring when conditions are warmer!

smile.gif

Remind me again in spring, I know a bunch of canadian nurseries that will sell and ship CPs to anywhere in Canada.
But you certainly didn't pick a good time for that.

On the other hand, I know my local Home Depot and Reno Depot have flytraps year round, perhaps yours will also?

I found this one place that sells carnivorous plants. I have allready made arrangements there, when it gets warmer outside (maybee in a couple months if were lucky) They will ship the plants that I wanted.
Just go to... http://www.canadiancarnivorousplantsandexotics.ca/
...and email them. It looks like they have only one type of vft if your interrested.

turner

turner, you might want the check the site again or reconfirm your order...

Where roughly in Canada are you?? Our local Home Depot didn't have any CPs for a few months, but now they seem to be getting a couple of flats of VFTs every week- I live in the Niagara area btw
But as others have said, spring will open up your options quite a bit

And the 100 dollar order has something to do with phytosanitary certificates as well, can't send live plant material across without one...

If you're having trouble finding some carnivorous plants in Canada then you may want to look at http://www.flytraps.com as I think you may be pleasantly surprised.  That will take you to Cook's Carnivorous Plants in the US.  I live in Manitoba, Canada and I have been buying from him for about a year and a half now.  He ships me any assortment of carnivorous plants that I want across the border as long as they do not require special certificates (which 90% don't).  His prices are good, there is no minimum order and he carries a very wide variety of plants.  I am surprised that no one here mentioned them.

Cheers,
Ravn

Last post...re: Sean's Pond recommending Hawaiian botanical as a supplier in Vancouver. They've cheated people in the past, CP growers in the Vancouver area are well aware of their reputation. I would NOT encourage people in supporting an outfit like this one. I'd check the BBB on these guys first.

Please support reputable companies only and blacklist those who cheat.

Sorry something suspicious about your username.. kind of makes me feel like completely ignoring everything you said....

What do you mean they cheated in the past?
I have had no problems with them so far...

Comeing back to this post, I have to say that the service from Hawaiian Botanicals is pretty good after my experiance with them a few weeks ago. I ordered a few plants from them, and they even included a few free utrics for me. Although a little expensive, I do recommend buying from them given the limited options in Canada.

LauraZ5- thanks for the heads up. I will be checking their products soon.
smile.gif
Zongyi

First time I see it, thanks Laura!

Has anyone recieved a reply or even plants form realkeehnconcepts.
I have emailed them but havent recieved anything yet?
confused.gif

Stephen

I tried to e-mail too, I would imagine that the site is still "going up" sorta since there didn't seem to be any sort of list anywheres
Thanks for the link, though, Laura- I don't look around much for that sort of thing since Zongyi's list is pretty complete from what I've found

I just sent an email to them. I am interested in some cheap red dragons
biggrin.gif

mabudon- the more the merrier
biggrin.gif
. Zongyi

Got a reply back- seems the fellow does some TC'ing of a small number of species- I'm hoping to get some more interesting stuff into his TC set-up and see where it goes from there, could be pretty cool
biggrin.gif

And yes, Zongyi, now that those D.tokaiensis are flowering I am REAL familiar with the "merrier-ness" of the "more (I swear I am going to have MILLIONS of seeds from that one pack you sent me- I see why you sent what I considered to be "way too many" now, I must have 100 scapes and counting.....)

Oh, and Rick already has a thousand of them as-is- he sent me a pic and it made me feel a bit less "swamped"

Back