What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Grow Pinguicula or Drosera Here!

I've been in Hawaii for a year plus.
A few CPs that I have are doing well,
but all my pings and drosera (some do okay with lots of work) slowly wasted away.
What gives ?
The mexican pings did great, then slowly died off same with the drosera.
Even Capensis is a chore to keep growing.
Yet I have Nepenthes growing with almost no effort on my end.
At this point I'm thinking it's the intense sun even with the shade from the palm tree,
are the issues I'm describing a characteristic of having too much sun?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the mexican pings may have gone dormant. However i am seeing that most pinguicula seem to want some shade to do well for me in Kula. But then i have issues with lots of UV. You might be having issues with the Vog.

MTF

No Vog is out here.....
They were doing extremely well for a long time then they went down hill.
I'm assuming I should try shade cloth?

I don't think they went dormant,
normally when they go dormant their leafs get smaller and they loose stickiness.

Out of curiosity how are you keeping VFTs and sarracenia going ?
Are you the person who sent me the drosera a while ago when I lived in waikoloa?

yep that is me. Where on the big island did you move to? Might want to check the water also.

VFTs are hard for me. i got short days and cool winters but not as cold as i think they really need. They sort of just plod on as their pots get infested with sundews. Sarracenia OTOH are doing great. no problems. i was told they would do well in most places in Hawaii. Except for maybe purpurea ssp purpurea......

MTF

From Waikoloa(dry and hot)
to Honokaa around 6 months ago.
I was growing everything really easily in Waikoloa,
then most of what I had died(mexican pings and some drosera),
some of them I had for 2 or so years........
I've been using rain water and RO,
I haven't experimented yer with tap.

I love sarracenia,
I had a nice bog going in Oregon and I thought you couldn't keep them here.
What are "Sarracenia OTOH" or the term ?
Do they make it without dormancy or sense a climate change then go dormant?
I know for a fact I won't live in Waikoloa again,
so that means I'll get a distinct winter and summer.

I've thought about doing a 6 foot wide by 10 foot long shade house that I can move...
If I did a shade house what % of cloth would I use,
it's really sunny here all the time and I want to keep drosera, pings, nepenthes and few other tropicals.
I'd like to start on one in about a month or so because I have some college tests,
and I need to send in a bill for some work I finished.

OTOH= on the other hand.

i think we have enough of a day length change that it gives them enough of a signal to go through seasonal changes even if there isnt enough cold. Growth stops for me in the fall to about jan -Feb.. It should be fairly cool in Honokaa. Might be able to get away with a bunch of things. capensis may have wanted more light. too much shade. i have them in full sun they love it.

Neps in Hawaii I thin kit was 50% shade. but I dont really remember this too well. i don't grow many of them.....

Big environmental change. dry hot to cool humid.

I'm around 800 feet elevation so it's warm but we have defined winters that get cool out and such..

Would the drosera like the 50%?
Maybe some of my drosera I have hate life because they get rained on every other night or so,
and the factor of too much light isn't a factor.
I know for sure that pings need shade, utrics and such.
I really love drosera and pings,
in Oregon I kept them all in terrariums and windows sill so I'm not sure about lighting...

I'd like to know if I can keep nepenthes(well I know because you told me),
most drosera, mexican pings, utricularia and such in one greenhouse with one type of shade cloth...
Keeping in mind some like full sun and won't work inside.....

That's really cool about the sarracenia,
I'll do a small bog, see what happens then go bigger with it.

Personally, I think the Droseras need more light. If you want to try a Drosera in your setup, I would suggest Drosera Adelae or Prolifera. These species thrive in lower light.

As for the Pings, I think your winters are too wet for them. You might want to keep them fairly dry or else they'll rot.

You might want to try a Pinguicula Caerulea or Primuiflora, as these grow year round in wet conditions.

I'm curious then why I've been killing drosera then,
if it's not too little light is it too little light and being rained on?
That makes since for the pings,
although I tried to keep them dry they got rained on.
So lighting would be insufficient for drosera in 50% shade cloth,
but most pings, utricularia, nepenthes and the like would like it?
The greenhouse I'd plan on doing would have shade cloth,
but plastic under the shade cloth for the roof to prevent rain and then i can keep whatever I want as wet or dry as I want...

Back