What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Care of different Species

• Thread starter nrbelex
  • Start date
I am planning on buying a few more plants from petflytrap.com but before I do I was just hoping to do a little research and find out what each species of flytrap needs. I am hoping to add one of each specie available here to my tiny collection of one VFT, One Sundew and One Lithop. I was wondering if any specie needs special needs and what they are --- Thanx
smile.gif
!!!

They all need the same cultivation. In fact I grow several types in one pot.

Tristan is right.

The different VFT's need no 'special care'

The only thing that I can think of is the Red Dragon needs more light to stay red. If it doesn't get the light it will turn green.

There is no such thing as more than one species of venus flytrap they are all the same species just different varieties...

And MOndo beats me to the punch! (Someone give him a pat ont he back!
smile.gif

There are three types of naturally occuring flytrap that I know of.

All Green
Dente
Typical

All flytraps come from the same genes, A dente or all green in the wild will throw typical seed most likely, same with dente... every now and again, you just get a genetic misfit.

More often than not, genetic misfits are created in tissue culture labs, such as Red and Green Dragons, big mouth, royal red, and so on, (Cups, pom poms) but they are all fromt he same parentage, and will more likely than not, throw typical seed.

To reproduce them, we tissue culture them, if you allow a green dragon to reproduce, it's offspring can not be called a green dragon, even if a few of them look the same, because it is not reproduced through tissue culturing.

This is called a cultivar, or sport.

Ok... Im done. Professor cap off!

Back