What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cepalotus Seeds in Gibberellic Acid

I'm soaking the Ceph seeds in some Gibberellic Acid to start em growing. Since this is more of a soft seed then most, do you guys still think the recommended 3 day soak is nessicary for them?

Where did you find a 3 day soak is recommended?
Also do you know the concentration of the GA?

Most information I have seen is for 24hrs in a 100 - 250ppm solution for most genera except Byblis and Roridula which are recommended a 1000ppm solution.

Tony

It's in 100ppm solution. As for where I found that info, on some CP site.

I heard that you should soak em for 3 days for seeds such as Dionaea because they have such a hard shell.

I do not think that you need GA3 for cephalotus. This stuff is usually used for seeds of plants like Ibicella, Byblis gigantea, tuberous Drosera etc. that have germination inhibitors in the seed.

I think perhaps your combining 2 trains of thoughts or something. GA is only needed in unusual cases as CP2k mentions. The 3 day thing was probably a reference to soaking seeds such as Dionaea for a few days in water to hydrate the seeds before planting. Although personally I don't think this is necessary since most CP seed is sown on fairly wet potting mix. I have never heard of anyone needing GA for Dionaea for example. It GA is unlikely to hurt the seed but seems like alot of extra effort and expense when unnecessary.

Tony

Hi all:

I am doing the same experiment as you, as we speak, i am using .5% solution and soaked them for 24 hrs. I know it is not needed, but so far germination time for cephalotus has been reported to a minimum of three months and i wanted to accelerate this process as much as i can.

Gus

Well you two be sure to keep us all updated.
That would be rather valuable information if one was able to decrease germination time with out killing the majority of the seed.

Back