What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus just arrived!

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Well, my baby Cephalotus just arrived. I transplanted it to a 5-inch pot, the soil being one part peat/2 parts perlite. It's now under my lamp.

thisone1-1.jpg

Very nice!

Good luck!

Beautiful! Ive been thinking about getting a cephalotus, or ordering cephalotus seeds or something.

Good luck! :)

The lids on Audrey Junior keep closing, so I have to place a plastic dome over the pot to keep in humidity.

i think it may be closing because its getting dry and it closes it pitchers to preserve moisture

Don't use the dome if it's been out in the open for several days already. Try filling the pitchers up with water, or just wait until it forms new pitchers which should be adjusted to the lower humidity.

xvart.

Don't use the dome if it's been out in the open for several days already. Try filling the pitchers up with water, or just wait until it forms new pitchers which should be adjusted to the lower humidity.

xvart.

Okay, I'll keep the dome off. Also, that will allow faster evaporation, giving the plant the moist (not very wet) soil it needs.

Btw, how long till I see new growth? I know Cephalotus is a slow plant, but how slow are we talking?

Okay, I'll keep the dome off. Also, that will allow faster evaporation, giving the plant the moist (not very wet) soil it needs.

Btw, how long till I see new growth? I know Cephalotus is a slow plant, but how slow are we talking?

Squirt a bit of water into the pitchers and they should be fine. Mist the plant a bit, since in the photo you posted, a good amount of dried peat could be seen. Once the plant acclimatizes, it will grow at a reasonable rate. Summer and Fall here in the US is the season for the pitchers after all . . .

Just let your cephalotus get used to it's environment. My plant that I have had for about 7 years puts out many pitchers during the spring and summer. How much humidity do you have where you are at in Florida?

I grow my ceph. as a regular houseplant. It receives light from the window every morning with no extra humidity. In fact, when I moved it under lights and added extra humidity, it hated it. I had to fight off a powdery-mildew infection and the plant just didn't like it's new home. Once I moved it back, it responded with new growth and back to it's old self again. This is just my particular plant, and how I grow my cephalotus doesn't mean you should grow yours in the same way. Find a good spot for it and keep it there. If over time it doesn't seem to be doing well, then change it. Good luck growing your cephalotus! They are great plants to grow!

Back