What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Co2 levels make traps close?

• Thread starter ISUBARUI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
I

ISUBARUI

I hooked CO2 up to my VFT and all of the traps closed. I was not sure if i set them off when i was moving the plant around but 3 days later they were not opened so i removed the CO2 and they started to open so i hooked the CO2 back up without touching any of the traps and a day later they were all closed again.

They don't like a lot of carbon dioxide becase they get nutrients from the soil form the water and from the insects that go into there traps. To muchs makes them close. But I still don't know why.
biggrin.gif

Wait what did I just write. DOn't read that that doesn't make any sence.
confused.gif
mad.gif
tounge.gif

so does CO2 cause the traps to close or not?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ISUBARUI @ April 01 2003,2:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so does CO2 cause the traps to close or not?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
well, the force of the air blowing in could close the traps

there is no air blowing in it is just a slow trickle

As trapper mentioned, high CO2 levels make the traps close. I don't know why but, I've noticed this phenomenon also. Perhaps you may want to lower the level of CO2 injection.

imduff

Why would a VFT react to something like that anyway? Do the traps look like they snapped shut, or slowly moved into that position?

I've noticed the traps are shut and sealed, as if they had caught something. The traps ultimately die. Strange reaction!
imduff

The traps on my VFT that shut due to C02 opened again but old traps that were previously shut or opened all died. The plant also only produces long slender leaves with traps about 3 cm long.

Hmmm, interesting. Perhaps it is a form of shock, or interfears with the trapping mechanism. What ever the case, it is definetly throwing the plant out of wack. Anyone here know how VFT deal with photoresperation and dark phase?

Back