What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP Related podcast - Would you listen to it?

• Thread starter Odysseus
  • Start date
Hey all,

I have noticed posts mentioning the Sarracenia Northwest podcast, but I can't seem to find it using their name or Carnivorous Plants as keywords. So maybe they stopped producing it. That led me to thinking more seriously about starting a Carnivorous Plant related podcast of my own. I already have a podcast I am doing for Photography and I am interested in branching out into a second or third podcast. (I just really enjoy hearing myself talk. :p)

I am curious, would any of you actually listen to it?

I ask - not because I am promoting the idea to hope to GET you guys to listen - I ask to see if the ACTUAL fellow nerdy lovers of CPs would have any interest in one. Because if the nerds like me are honestly NOT interested, then expecting the masses to actually listen is definitely out of the question. :D

If you would actually listen to a CP related Podcast, what would you want to hear on it?

Looks like I can't add a poll, so would any of these options below interest you more:
  • An interview ONLY based podcast where all CP discussion is done through interviews with growers, sellers, hobbyists etc?
  • A topic based podcast where I rattle off educational information about each variety of Carnivorous Plant and cover the pros and cons of a variety of growing methods?
  • Or a mix of both since the most opportunity to keep this interesting is to include both. Evergreen Tip episodes along with tips gained from asking the well-known experts.
  • A podcast that is focused around chronicling the adventure of growing different varieties of CPs. Following me on my journey of mistakes and successes growing all types of CPs?
  • Other - Please mention what your other is in the thread below.

Thanks all!

-Aaron

I would LOVE this and most definitely listen to it. All of those options sound great but maybe the most appealing at least to me would be the second and third bullet point.

Aaron, I think all of these topics would have a place at any given time. I have to say I'm new to this forum and I haven't seemed to have mastered the app much less the rules and protocols. I'm sure this is mostly because I am new to the cp world. But to be honest, I have only run across a few folks that seem to agree on much of anything. I will post a question and get a *completely* different answer from the same question. I will look up sites and get entirely different answers. I have decided that I will do my own homework and experimenting.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

A podcast is a great idea. One idea I have would be to poll the community on plants they want to see more available. I think that if nurseries could see how much demand there are for certain species the issues with very few plants being available at any given time could be addressed. N. hamata is well known and has stayed in high demand through the years. If all the other high demand species were as commonly known as this both hobbyists and nurseries could benefit. Aside from that I think having several long term subjects, like experimental cultivation techniques or chronicles on select species would be a great addition.

This is very encouraging, thank you all!

I figured if people here felt it was a no-brainer than creating one here soon would be at least interesting to my CP friends. If it was something boring, then I wouldn't consider it. I too like the idea of basically most of those ideas, and enjoy the idea of it being a hybrid where interviews and topics are discussed.

I am going to go ahead with it. In a month I will start recording some interviews and get those in the bag and then go live with something that will appear twice a week. Being a twice a week show, I will try and keep the show to 30 minutes or less. Keep it quick, easy to listen to while working on your plants or out on a walk. It could be a real blast getting expert tips and interviews out there to reference on top of just hearing how everyone grows their plants! Because, like DRBeck said, so many of us have different conditions we grow our plants in or even OPPOSITE conditions to another, that hearing about them would be fun and educational.

I will just have to make sure that listeners to the podcast realize that there are many better ways to grow a CP than maybe the way I do it or others do it and that is okay. We won't try and decide the BEST way but inform about the many different ways and just celebrate our CP grower community world wide!

I am quite excited about this. Can't wait!

Thanks all for the help with making the call!

I think this is a wonderful idea, I am excited to hear it! Pear let us know when you get started. I think a good one without be talking a little about the easier species of each type of carnivores plant for beginners. It seems to be a common question on the forums. Personally I would love to hear some about conservation as well as growing and propagation methods that work best four different types of plants. I think it would also be interesting to hear about semi carnivorous plants or the less common types of cps.
Good luck!:)

Sent from my SM-S550TL using Tapatalk

Thank you, Flora! Terrific ideas! I am honestly having a harder time trying to fit in all the content ideas into the design of the show than I am trying to think of things to talk about! Hopefully enthusiasts like you and others will be willing to be interviewed by me for my segments featuring hobbyists and their stories. This podcast can only carry itself as far as people are willing to talk CPs with me. :D

Thanks all for your feedback and positive reinforcement.

The podcast is on its way, I believe I have nailed down a name that helps it be a platform for storytelling as well as education and growing tips. I just wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow so I could continue to working on this! :D

I would definitely listen to this. Learning is so much easier when you don't have to read page after page of info. I think you could also include something about new species or hybrids. I have always found that fascinating. Please give a shout when it's finished :)

I would give it a listen if it was mostly novice and beginner discussion about general growing, might listen to it regularly if you do a good job.

If it was a podcast with a focus on more specific, deeper topics related to carnivorous plants, like expeditions for certain rare species, or Nepenthes genus discussion, specifics of growing techniques related to hard-to-grow species, things like that; I would probably listen to it religiously.

Any update on this? It's been 3 months, wondering how all it's going. Cheers :)

Back