What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Lil Ping

in full swing again,how are the seedlings doing out of interest,did all of them make it

Hi Corky,

I still have some seedlings, but I've found P. heterophylla seed that I've made has a low germination percentage and about half of the seedlings are frail.

This might be due to only having one clone to start with, so i'm hoping to continue building up a stock of seed grown plants and then the seed germination rates from those unique cross pollinated flowers will probably increase as a result.

dvg

double post

cheers dvg such a quality thread

Thanks Corky, here are a few shots from today.

These plants, growing here in a 7" pot, started out as leaf pulls back in October, 2011.

Still a few more flowers coming on some plants, with the beginnings of narrower upright carnivorous leaves being made on some, which signals an end of flowering for some of the early birds.

With this many flowers out now, the plan is to pollinate as many flowers as possible and see what shakes out germination-wise,

with the hopes of growing out a few pots of unique seed raised P. heterophylla, in time. :)

dvg

Last edited:
Those are some fancy onions with purple flowers you've got there! :-))

Maybe fancy with flowers but otherwise these dormant P. heterophylla look like either

14174391397_1b6390a096_c.jpg

garden variety onions or

14381042513_e4b7000c25_c.jpg

spiky haired mischief makers. ;)

dvg

Very neat, I didn't know there were any Pinguicula that formed bulbs! I'll have to add P. heterophylla to my list for sure.

There are a number of Pinguicula species that adopt that survival strategy.

Still not sure if they make true bulbs or not... anybody out there know the answer to that question?

dvg

Weird, I thought heterophylla had long and thin leaves like gypsicola. Or does it produce differently shaped leaves, hence the name heterophylla?

Yes, early leaves right after dormancy are wider and shorter, the later summer leaves are long and thin. P. medusina does the same thing.

I'm hoping that this 'interloper' is a heterphylla or a medusina:

Have had this P. heterophylla from AW for five years now, shown here in a 4" pot.

15475381969_0c655d691a_c.jpg

It is getting ready to go into dormancy now, so i'll just leave the pot to dry out completely now.

15638297746_f79831c8c2_c.jpg

This is a seed grown plant from seed sown on July 28, 2013, in a 3" pot. It has been through a dormancy already and is getting ready for another one, shortly.

15638317036_2c342aa155_c.jpg

This small seedling was from the smallest bulb shown in my previous posting...I stuck it in with a P. moranensis, so I could keep an eye on its progress.

15041296854_8f2963bd15_c.jpg

And all three pots together.

15475395269_cdc7a09c67_c.jpg

dvg

Here is a two year old seed-grown P. heterophylla in the process of dividing, from about a month ago.

21957108758_e9ebefe990_c.jpg

It hasn't flowered yet and is the first of my heterophylla plants to do the dividing thing.

22132358062_2b00524493_c.jpg

At around this time when my mature heterophylla plants were flowering, I took the time to pollinate around forty flowers and here is some of the seed I was able to collect from them.

22155121041_56c57a861e_c.jpg

The seed was sown on October 12, one month ago today.

This is the top dressing I used to sow them on top of.

22118784096_208192d25a_c.jpg

The above media top dressing consists of pro mix, #2 grit, bonsai sand and silica sand in a 3:2:1:1 ratio respectively.

And here is one of the four pots with the resulting seedlings, taken from earlier today.

22970493505_068da9f4f2_c.jpg

22347734304_85b7929f43_c.jpg

In late October, I took apart a mature dormant bulb to propagate some plants from leaf pullings.

22782484320_087c3fb286_c.jpg

The leaves were laid onto coffee filters and placed inside a freezer bag, under lights.

22552182358_76591138ed_c.jpg

Last night when I was repotting some other mexi-pings, a few dislodged leaves from a P. agnata were also added to this bag.

And here is a pic from today of the same dividing plant from the opening pics above.

22347777264_4d4c78dbb2_c.jpg

Hopefully, in time, i'll have a few more of these plants to spread around.

dvg

Last edited:
Absolutely amazing. Your plants are stunning.

These plants are just about to go into dormancy.

They've discontinued all new growth, and their watering has been cut right back.

Some of the gravel was moved away from the base of the plants to better show the bulbs that these plants retreat back into during their dormancy period.

dvg

dvg, is this species growth cycle limited to fall? Fall and Spring? Or are they actually in dormancy for nine months of the year?

I've read that in situ, they will flower twice a year, but in cultivation, mine are actually in dormancy for up to eight full months of the year.

Now maybe i can still learn what it takes to coax them out of dormancy earlier or even more frequently, but for now they seem to start putting out new growth in the autumnal months.

But they are easy to take care of when they enter into their extended dormancy periods...just put them off to the side, away from being directly under any artificial lights and withhold water from them.

dvg

Beautiful! Just beautiful :) i just love how shiny and sticky it looks and has great color and a fun shape.. Looks like i gotta get one of those :)

Back