What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curse this blasted addiction of mine!!!!

Less than a month after losing my main job due to the company's loss of a big contract, I did NOT need to see that VFTs have arrived at the local Wal Mart. I "broke in" to the domes of flowering plants and popped off the flower stems to give them a little more of a chance in those conditions and yes, of course walked out with two of my own.

I know that it is not as imporant an expense as say, food, but I was helpless to resist those little faces.

but it gets worse....

I then headed to a garden center that has a few domed carnivores that I've sort of adopted. I took one of the store's deep saucers and filled it with H2O from a fountain in the greenhouse and set the plants in it with the domes taken off. I stopped by to refill the water and then I saw them...two giant N. mirandas hanging from above! One had two plants in it and the other had pitchers that probably were pushing 7 or 8 inches. $25 each.

Sadly, I did resist-for now. I called for some growing environemnt guidelines and to my dismay learned what I had feard that a) it was a great price for a plant this large and b) it'd grow quite well here-espcially outside in the summer.

It is only a matter of time before I go back for one. I can just feel it. Maybe I'll let them continue to grow them in their greenhouse for a bit until I can swing it.

Why do these things have to be so bloody addictive????!!!????

Last edited by a moderator:
thats not addiction..............................addiction is staring at 30 pots of moss and slime that might also contain Utrics that look damn near identical, willing them to flower so you can prove to your wife that they infact ARE different :grin:

Lol, I'm surprised you weren't asked to leave lol.

Lol, I'm surprised you weren't asked to leave lol.

Yeah, you must have a nice relationship with your garden center. When I pick up a bag of soil I always get the "crazy eye" like I'm going to shove a bale of peat under my shirt. I was hoping once I matured a little, to say 25 years old, I would stop being followed like a 16 year old condom shoplifter. Oh well...

xvart.

addiction is trying to convince your better half that the lil dime-quarter sized nep or heli is actually worth the $60-$100 you paid for it.............

addiction is trying to hide from the wife your $300+ order to Lowrie's......... :grin:

addiction is the fact you know out of that $300 order roughly $100 of it may very well not sprout..............

addiction is volenteering lots of your time to botanical gardens and CP dealers hoping for free plants..........

addiction is spending $120 on orchids to help your 45 minutes of begging to pay for a cutting of a large nep on display at an orchid greenhouse.............and them paying another $50 for the unrooted cutting..............

dude you have a long way to go

note some of the above i have yet to do though i do know an individual who has :grin:

Addiction is waking up in a pool of digestive fluids, with Sarracenia pollen covering your nose. You hope to God you were only trying to hybridize, but you can't remember. There is N. lowii custard stuck to the roof of your mouth and you hope that's nectar on your chin. You test positive for coniine. Other people can stop at one or two nepenthes, but not you. You can't say no. You always want more and more and more. Just one more.

That's addiction.

this could be a new thread!

keep 'em coming, this is amusing!

I guess my addiction has a long way to go but it has certainly been sown and germination has begun. I just don't have the $ yet but I am spending the $ that I do get (as the end of the job was nearing I went and ordered a cephalotus) that I shouldn't be. It's a start.

every time I go to the supermarket, I *have* to stop by the floral section. This is because there were some VFTs there once or twice, and some Nepenthes alata-or-is-it-ventrata?. During a recent one of these visits I did a double take because, if you look kind of quickly, tulip leaves kind of look like Heliamphora..

actually i did the same thing again, a couple weeks later, but with Calla lilies.

no money was spent, but I think I have a problem nonetheless..

this could be a new thread!

keep 'em coming, this is amusing!

I guess my addiction has a long way to go but it has certainly been sown and germination has begun. I just don't have the $ yet but I am spending the $ that I do get (as the end of the job was nearing I went and ordered a cephalotus) that I shouldn't be. It's a start.

The money starts to get ridiculous when you want the rarer stuff. Then it dies. :censor: :censor: :censor:
And with some plants, no matter how much you're willing to spend, there just aren't any to be had.

you know your addicted when you ask for many plants... then you cant get any of them because you have no shipping money.... living the moment (sorry everyone!!)
Alex

Well addiction... Starting with 4 plants (2 vfts + drosera capensis alba + capensis), then a flava, and to finish a purp and a catesbaei. Checking the trade forum everyday for freebies (btw here goes my big thanks to all who sent me stuff ;) ).
Dividing and repotting the 7 plants that I bought last year from the garden center, that had grown quite well and after a few weekendes of repotting and diving growing points, gone from 7 to 78 plants :0o: This week some friends of mine are going to start suffering the capensis attack, and I'll take some to the garden center where I bought them, they've also been so nice in offering me pots :)
And they've gone only 8months since I started :-O
Me addicted? naaaaaahh:crazy: :-))

I think I know how you feel. Every time I see CPs at a store I feel sad and wanna buy them all because i know that they will die if someone doesnt help them.

do you ever end up buying the ill ones, to make them better?

the garden centres near me can't even seem to manage drosera capensis. the poor things are so dry that they don't have any sticky droplets...

do you ever end up buying the ill ones, to make them better?

the garden centres near me can't even seem to manage drosera capensis. the poor things are so dry that they don't have any sticky droplets...

i have! i did it several times in the past. i kinda had to give up because ive gotten the "oh look! here's the crazy lady who buys dying vfts." plus, ive been broke.

Oh yes! I cleaned up last year with $.50 flytraps. Some are still around but winter killed off a few. I don't know why so many flytraps just don't want to live with me.

I have a few others that were trapped in a cube and are now doing wonderfully. One was a N sanguinea that was a little twig among a dead VFT and sundew. They knocked off 50% and now it is doing very well.

The key is to pick out some VFTs that are blackened due to normal life cycles of the plant and point out that they must be dying and could the store knock off some of the price.

lol you guys are crazy!!! in a good way of course. and i know that feeling i was there a few weeks ago lol. waiting to start my new job but i still went out and bought myself a few CP's on the credit card ha ha ha who in their right mind would give me a credit card. anyway it's all good now things happen like that like a roller coaster. and i don't like to think of it as an addiction (i'm in denial) its a hobby LOL.

haha lmao

CP Addicts Anonymous

Hello everyone. My name is Jian. I have been collecting vfts for the past 3-4 years. I check the forums every 5 minutes while I'm at work, I balance my checkbook for my plants, I stare at glazed vs. non-glazed pots at home depot for hours to figure out which one is best for my vfts or which one painted pot would match the colors of the vfts.....blah blah blah

Yeah...that's right...its a hobby. That's what they all say. Until they get the shakes the just walking past a CP in a store...and just gotttttta have it! lol

We're all an addicted bunch. But there are worse things...so enjoy it! :)

the most irritating thing has happened. i'd swear that carnivorous plants mush have gone out of fashion in england or something. all of the garden centres near me have stopped selling them. i haven't even been able to buy seeds this year!

Back