What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundifolia cutting - dormancy or not?

• Thread starter Drosera36
  • Start date
Hi, it's been a while since I've used this forum. But I got back into growing CPs again and its all I can think about lately.

My question is about dormancy and D. rotundifolia. I made a cutting from a wild plant from upstate NY back in May, and this is how my plant looks now (below).
I live in Gainesville, FL (Zone 8b/9a), meaning the lowest temps we get are around 20*F. Therefore, I think that it would do well outside here.

Right now, it's growing under LED lights. But, I want it to be healthy long term to get seeds.

Question: Should I leave it outside to start going through dormancy? Or should I let it get bigger inside during the winter, and let it go dormant next winter? I took some leaf cuttings to make "backups" in case I decide to leave it outside for dormancy.

Right now, temps are around 80*F during the day and maybe 50-60*F at night.

I imagine plants that germinate in the spring naturally don't get this big by the end of the summer, but they still would have to go dormant to make it to year two, right?
20221021_160953.jpg

Thanks!
Ben

I would do the dormancy, but it's a good thing you took the cuttings. Better safe than sorry.

The plant will dictate on its own when it wants to go dormant; you can't force them to keep growing by keeping them inside. It is an obligate requirement for them and if not triggered by something, will eventually just happen (as occurs every year at various times in my greenhouse).
And Florida, may be too warm for them to do well outside year-round unless you set up something to keep them cooler. They like it constantly cold in winter, not occasional snaps and otherwise warm so putting them through dormancy inside in a fridge etc. may be necessary, and many forms especially if the've come from somewhere as far north as New York don't like it when temps get above 90 for significant periods.

Great, thank you both for your insight. I'll put it outside, if it goes dormant, I'll keep it in my fridge!

Beautiful plant, congrats. Your photo clearly shows the plant is already beginning to form a bud. It would be best to keep it inside and let it develop further. My photos for comparison: Green plant in active growth and reddening plant with bud forming.Drot active growth.JPGDrot bud forming.JPG

Beautiful, I didnt see this post for some reason!

Update:
Indeed, you were right! Check out the size of this hibernaculum! Ive placed it in a walk in fridge at work.

Ben

Attachments

• 20221120_095948.jpg
    20221120_095948.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 7
Back