What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia californica seed

I have two packs of D. californica seed for US residents. Please post here if you would like some then PM me with your full name and mailing address with a zip code and I will mail the seed out sometime next week in a bubble mailer. No need to offer SASE or money for postage.

Please note- I only have two packs of seed. After those are gone, I really have no more.

That's it- D. californica seed is all gone. I'll get your seed out sometime next week. I'm out of bubble mailers... again.

Laura:

One of the moderators just wrote and let me know the "rules" for growing Darlingtonia. I can't provide the correct conditions. Please pass the packet on to someone more likely to succeed with them. I'll stick to sarracenia hybrids and species that can take a refrigerator dormancy and grow in the summer outside.

I only have a western facing windowsill to offer. It would be impossible to provide the cool conditions they need. My tiny refrigerator couldn't produce enough ice cubes to keep them as cool as necessary for good growth.

Thank you anyway!

I'll take his packet if you still have it. Thanks.

Yes, you may have the pack of seeds. Please PM me with your full name and mailing address with a zip code.

Now the D. californica seed is all gone ;)

Got the seeds today. Im going to let them sit in the fridge until feb. than ill sow them. Am i bass ackwards, or is this right,

Thanks alot,
Jeff

Ummm, I sowed mine pretty soon after I received them I think. Mine were fresh too. I can't recall if I cold stratified them for 30 days or not. I might have just flat out stuck them in trays and put them under lights. It was a long time ago. PM elgecko and ask him. I know I didn't store them in the frig though. I might have cold stratified them for about 3-4 weeks but I seriously can't remember.

Glad you got them.

I got my seeds today also, thanks laura! The way to grow these or any other Sarr is by cold stratification. You place them on damp media, ziplock it, and throw it in the fridge for 4 weeks. Then pull it out and give it some light. I got 2 pots coming out of the fridge tomorrow that have been sitting in there for 4 weeks.

Glad you got your seed too.

I've got seed in the frig that will come out in a few weeks. I love germinating seed. It's fun.

Back