What's new
More pics:

N. x Cathy Jo, the persitome is really pinking up and starting to flare out a bit.

106_1726.jpg

Unidentified Nep perking up after a nice, humid night:

106_1728.jpg

And it looks like one of the bigger leaves on the VFT has caught itself a snack overnight:

106_1733.jpg

Gave the leaf a gentle pinch, and it felt squishy and kind of juicy on the inside. I guess it has started to digest it already. It was probably a small, unlucky cricket or something. I'm surprised the leaf was still quick enough to get something while dormant.

That NOID nep definitely has truncata in it, as the main parent if not pure truncata (though a few more months of growth should help that ID)

That NOID nep definitely has truncata in it, as the main parent if not pure truncata (though a few more months of growth should help that ID)

Could well be. It does have the purpley-red freckles on the inside of the pitcher and lid, round lid, and teardrop shaped maw that seem to be characteristic of a truncata.

I vaguely remember Paul telling me that he thought the plant had N. maxima influences. I googled N. maxima x truncata and found this:

PLPic_NmaximaXtruncataRedEP1.jpg

Purplely-red freckles, round lid, teardrop shaped maw and it even has the ava spread out flat like mine mostly do. We should definitely be able to tell in a few months.

Just an update:

My VFT seems to be coming out of dormancy. It's making a whole slew of new traps that are bigger and it looks like they are trying to grow up into the air.

106_1780.jpg

My unidentified Nep has a new pitcher that has popped open overnight. It's got even more color and is just a tad smaller than the other one (sorry for the horrible focus).

106_1778-Copy.jpg

I bought a larger tub for my sphagnum culture to spread out and grow.

106_1782.jpg

My N. x Cathy Jo has unfurled a new leaf (top center).

106_1781.jpg

And when I went out to take the pictures, I noticed my capensis has caught an odd looking bug.

106_1785.jpg

It looks like a mosquito, but it does not have the snout for it, and it has the feathery antennae that you find on some moths, it also looks like it has a thicker exoskeleton. Possibly a midge (I never knew such a thing existed before I got into CP's. I probably always mistook them as mosquitos)?

Last edited:
Really looking great and making me very jealous of the Florida environment. I know I wouldn't be saying that in the summer, but I do love the heat and while the humidity makes ya sweaty and sticky all the time, I would deal with it if my plants weren't constrained to a terrarium tank!

Someday I will have a greenhouse and can replicate those conditions if not better, but for now c'est la vie!

P.S. Your living sphagnum is looking great. I wonder if I could be as successful with a culture of it under lights....

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I'm afraid I cannot take full credit for the sphagnum, I did get a nice large culture of it from Whimgrinder not too long ago.

@Odysseus I don't see why you couldn't do it under lights. Keeping it nice and soggy seems to be the key for me.

Thanks for the encouragement, David! I am looking around for a good source and think I will be growing some soon.

However, I think I may end up waiting for the spring to have more available growing space in my garage outdoors where I won't have freezing temperatures. But come mid-summer I will be battling overheating so still balancing my options.

Like I said, jealous of the Florida growing conditions! :D

Another update, I ordered a S. purpurea ssp. venosa a while back, and I finally got it!

106_1789.jpg

I think I may have buried it a little deep. I was hoping that the rain over the weekend would help wash it down off the base and compact the soil down, but evidently not.I'm going to see if I can brush it off.

It also came with a young S. purp ssp. Montana.

106_1788.jpg

Also, the new pitcher that has popped open is starting to really color up.

106_1796.jpg

106_1800.jpg

Along with both of my Nep's leaves

106_1798.jpg

I'm guessing since they are grown in mostly full sun, they are turning red a lot like how VFT's reaps turn red.

I'm also liking how my N. x Cathy Jo is shaping up, it has a rather bonsai-esque lean to it.

106_1802.jpg

Also, my VFT is definately coming out of dormancy. The petioles are growing wide and the traps are starting to climb into the air.

106_1793.jpg

The plants are really starting to shape up :boogie:.

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, life's been kinda crazy the last couple of months, but I thought I'd give y'all an update.

My purps are filling their pots nicely and looking great:

002.jpg
019.jpg

The seedlings with the capensis have all grown up and are starting to produce flower stalks:

20140618_070010.jpg

The unidentified Nep is looking great, this pitcher opened up a couple of days ago:

001.jpg

And my Dionaea is really growing up and out:

020.jpg

And some of the traps are getting huge:

022.jpg

However I cannot seem to get my N. x Cathy Jo to pitcher much at all.

003.jpg

We did have a rather dry, hot spring though. I watered it twice a day as much a I could, but maybe it wasn't enough to compensate for the low humidity we had.

And here's the sphagnum I've been growing:

024.jpg

Last edited: