What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappearing Dew Outside

I just "rescued" a sundew from Lowe's. I put it in quotes because it seemed to be doing great there. It got bigger over the last two weeks, and it had dew all over, and some pink to it.

Anyway, I put it in bright shade when I got home, but took the lid off its death cube. All the dew dried up within an hour or so. So before I left to go to Target, I put the lid back on (it was in shade, didn't cook), and a little dew formed.

But when I was out, I got containers so I could tray-water some plants better, and took this sundew out of its death cube. Went out to dinner, and there's almost no dew on it now.

My question is:

Will it get used to being in lower humidity, and make more dew, that doesn't dry up so much, or will it just always make dew at the same rate, and if it's low humidity, it will dry up?

I could put it back in a container and keep humidity up, possibly....

It's drosera adelae.

Thanks

The plant needs to acclimate to the growing conditions which can take a few days to a few weeks depending on how big the change is.

If the glands dry out too much they will no longer produce mucilage and you'll have to wait for new leaf growth.

When changing from high humidity to low humidity conditions you can "harden" the plant off by progressively widening the opening of the container over a period of time (1-2 weeks).

A similar process is can be used when moving a plant from low light conditions to bright sunlight (e.g. progressively less shade).

You don't have to do this - however how long it takes you plant to adjust depends on the how healthy and vigorous the plant was to begin with and how dramatic the changes are. The stress from too much change could finish off an unhealthy plant.

The plant needs to acclimate to the growing conditions which can take a few days to a few weeks depending on how big the change is.

If the glands dry out too much they will no longer produce mucilage and you'll have to wait for new leaf growth.

When changing from high humidity to low humidity conditions you can "harden" the plant off by progressively widening the opening of the container over a period of time (1-2 weeks).

A similar process is can be used when moving a plant from low light conditions to bright sunlight (e.g. progressively less shade).

You don't have to do this - however how long it takes you plant to adjust depends on the how healthy and vigorous the plant was to begin with and how dramatic the changes are. The stress from too much change could finish off an unhealthy plant.

Hmmm. Maybe I should put it back in the death cube with the lid on, in the shade, and maybe drill holes in the lid over the next few weeks.

Any reason why I shouldn't do this? I'd hate for the glands to dry out too much.

Basically, you put the plant into shock. Now you just need to provide it with the best conditions you have and wait for it to recover.

I put the lid back on and it made beautiful dew again. I took the lid off and drilled a small hole in it. I'll keep adding holes over the next several weeks until I just take the lid off and move it out of the death cube.

It's eating some bug right now. Not sure which kind.

UPDATE: I guess it's not eating the bug. The bug is maybe a little bitter than a wasp, and it moved to a new leaf. I guess it's not trapped :( Maybe I should let it out before it just takes all the dew off all my leaves. Or maybe it'll get gummed up enough over time that it can't move.

If you bought it at Lowes, it is most likely D. Adelae, which can be a fairly finicky plant for some as is. I understand that your new plant is fascinating, but I would try not to baby it too much. Once it recovers from any shock it has been through, acclimates to its new environment, and starts putting out some new growth, I'm sure it will look great. There is a fair amount of information on D. Adelae (Lance Leaf Sundew) on this forum, so you shouldn't have any issues getting some more precise care information.

Back