What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy in a car

The temps took a nice drop now and with the wind chill hitting them the started to freeze the soil. So I could not get into the shed to get them out of the dry wind so I put my VFTs and sars in a broken down car that we don't use anymore. The temps are about 40-42 when outside is about 35-38. But the big thing is that there is no wind. Anyone do this or anything like it? any suggestions? Maybe with the sun hitting the car even when the temps drop lower into the teens and that like it does here in WI it will still warm it to the mid 30's to low 40's. Plus they are still somewhat in sun. Could it work?

I would suggest just putting them in plastic bags you can reuse every year.

I'd say it could work. It's just like a greenhouse after all.

It would probably be safer than outside or the fridge.

It could work, though it gets pretty dang cold in WI. Even with the shelter provided by the car, your plant might fall victim to the cold. It's worth a shot for experiment sake. If you don't want to take a chance losing your plant, you could always do the fridge method.

I found a good writeup of the fridge method on the OCPS website and (with permission) re-posted it here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-trap-dormancy/fridge-dormancy-tutorial.html

I also have some pretty big sars too so I'm not sure about that. I know how cold it can get here and that has me worried too. The car idea is just until it is cold enough to but in a back hallway. This is pretty much that last try I'm giving dormancy needing plants so I hope they make it this year.

I highly doubt the car would keep them warm enough..even with the "greenhouse effect"..
when its zero degrees F at night in Milwaukee..it will be zero degrees F inside the car! ;)

Milwaukee is WAY too cold to keep VFTs and Sarrs outdoors..
I dont think an old car will provide nearly enough warmth..

it might be a degree or two warmer on a sunny day..
but 17 degrees isnt much better than 15..

sorry, but IMO its no good..

the fridge is MUCH warmer..
a nice steady 35 degrees..
your car wont be able to maintain that steady warmth..it will be significantly colder.

Scot

Yeah I understand that. That's why I'm moving them once the back gets cold enough. This was just for pretty that day and night to get them out of the wind. They are also in a deeper rubbermaid bog container.

Do you have a garage or attic, with a window? That has done well for me. They get the cold they need, without freezing to death and they respond to the change in photoperiod. They are also exposed to the air, so I don't need a fungicide. I just keep tabs on them and water a little bit every couple weeks or so.

I tried an attic one year and it did'nt really work. The back hallway gets cold and has a window. It's about 50 now day and night.

I would give that back hallway a go!

Yes I did last year but I think I waited too long to move them in.

I agree with Jim. That back hallway sounds like a primo spot...50F and a window is ideal.

I'm just not sure when to move it to the spot.

You can do it now or when the temp in both places is roughly equal.

Back