What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy or not?

So I bought a Venus Flytrap from Lowe's, and being early March, should I put it on a dark windowsill or let it grow? It's very alive looking so wasn't sure weather to put it into dormancy or not. ???

Last edited:
I personally don't see a reason to force it into dormancy right now as long as you can give it good enough conditions to want to stay out of it...

Last edited:
Forcing it into dormancy right now will probably do more harm than good, especially since that plant is most likely still recovering from the stress of being sentenced to Lowe's. Give it as much sun as you can - if it wants to go dormant, it'll tell you. Chances are, your flytrap hasn't even seen a proper winter in its life yet, since most of the plants on the mass market are young ones fresh out of tissue culture. If your plant is still alive, it probably hasn't been in Lowe's for very long, but be careful with it anyway, garden center plants are always weaker than those from reputable vendors. And make sure you check that the soil is correct, I've seen countless CPs potted in garden soil by "helpful staff" at home improvement stores.

VFTs can undergo a growing period of AT MOST 2 years without dormancy (consecutively.)

Just throw it into dormancy next winter, this ones almost over.

Thank y'all so much for the insight! Been out of the CP game for a number of years now, feeling like an amateur all over again:-D

Last edited:
Those Lowes plants are fresh from tissue culture usually. That little guy probably won't want dormancy until next year.

Back