What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy requirements advice

Hey all,
It's been a while.

So I have a VFT and two sarracenia, one tarnok and a red cross. What should I do for dormancy?
They have been outside their whole life so far, living in Washington state near the coast.

Thanks!

Leave em' outside, sink or swim. Plants & Mother Earth have their own thing going on outside of us humans.

Thanks for the reply, In my area there are frequent frosts that last for a few days, will that kill the vft?

Last edited:
I grow VFT's outside year round in Boston where they're frozen solid for a good 4 months per year. The light PNW frosts won't generally bother them.

I grow VFT's outside year round in Boston where they're frozen solid for a good 4 months per year. The light PNW frosts won't generally bother them.

Good to know, thanks a bunch, unless anyone else has any info to offer, I will just leave them outside. Any good way to do this? Should I keep them out of snow?

Snow acts as an insulator against dangerously low temperatures. Anything below about 20 F should be of some concern, but if there is snow to act as an insulator it should be of little issue.

Snow acts as an insulator against dangerously low temperatures. Anything below about 20 F should be of some concern, but if there is snow to act as an insulator it should be of little issue.

Alright cool, thank you for the information!

Back