What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On CPUK, there is a topic that was initiated by Arie that is about the use of Osmocote. He had great results. Another observed the lack of traps being produced. Another theorized that since CP's are do their thing because they live in nutrient poor soil and if they are provided nutrients, then traps won't be produced. So I have read...

Are your plants sitting in water trays or are the water trays designed to evaporate and provide humidity? I read that most Neps don't do well if kept open tray.

Mind you, I am far from being an experienced Nep grower, and only echo what I am reading. My experience is limited, but I am having the most success with the hanging basket approach. I also keep them above trays of live LFS, so that the water drains directly to the LFS. I have an ampullaria cuting that is doing well with its pot resting within a flower vase. It's a glorified hanging basket - a suspended basket. I hope to have pictures later this week.

Have you ever tried pine needles as a topdressing. Maehem has had noticeable success with that, as opposed to standard Nep mix.

On the other hand.....

vic brown said:
Speaking with one of the world's top Nepethes growers, Christian Klein (Germany), at the EEE in Prague last September; he uses small amounts of Osmacote in the soil mix for all his Neps and they all grow and pitcher well "No cabbages!". (see; http://www.cpukforum.com/forum....n+klein for a look at his collection)

He doesn't use quite as much as Arie; just 5 pellets each year for a large plant and less for smaller plants, if I remember correctly. On my return from Prague, I added Osmacote to all 9 Nepenthes plants I obtained at the meeting and nearly two months on, they are all still pitchering well and more importantly growing noticeably faster, in my opinion, than if I hadn't added the fertilizer. I think that the most pronounced effects are with the very small plants in my collection, which only received one pellet per pot, they certainly seem to have settled into their new home than similar sized plants that I have obtained in the past.

Vic

Regarding algae that may grow on the top of the medium of plants that have been fertilized, I notice that fertilized plants growing in sphagnum topped with cinder do not have algae growing on it.  Plants growing in pure sphagnum have algae.  It might have something to do with access to carbon dioxide.

Regarding Nepenthes in water trays, I have a few of my plants in water trays (actually plates).  I read somewhere that the water tray method is okay for plants growing outdoors (which mine are), but not in terrariums.  Additionally, the water should be allowed to dry out for a day or so before watering again.  I don't know if my plants in water trays are growing any better, but they don't have to be watered as often.

Back