What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy Crisis

Good luck with whatever potential solution you choose. This hot spell is ensuring my basement plants are being heat stressed more than any other time in the past 5-6 years.
Just saw an article that confirms that the first seven months of 2012 are the hottest on record for Northeast USA.

Some plants are doing better than I expected (ie: U. campbelliana) but others aren't doing as well (ie: some Heli's).

:censor:

I'm new and don't totally know the size of your plants and collection, but I have my highlands in a terrarium and made a dirt-cheap evaporative cooler for them. I just have some powerful computer fans suck air over strips of wet cloth. I haven't gotten an accurate reading yet, but I'm fairly certain the air can get to around 60 degrees. If you can move your smaller highlands into a terrarium, that would work.

I'm new and don't totally know the size of your plants and collection, but I have my highlands in a terrarium and made a dirt-cheap evaporative cooler for them. I just have some powerful computer fans suck air over strips of wet cloth. I haven't gotten an accurate reading yet, but I'm fairly certain the air can get to around 60 degrees. If you can move your smaller highlands into a terrarium, that would work.
Thanks for the recommendation. Currently, the number of plants & tanks keeps me from implementing any type of evaporative cooling. If I was going to head down that road, I'd probably mimic Av's setup which Jeremiah also used. I've pondered the transition but get overwhelmed when I think about the amount of work involved...

Today's news noted that last month was the hottest July ever recorded for continental USA - not a good sign for HL plant keepers...

All my plants are dying!

I used to find this hobby relaxing and fun, but now it is one of the few things that can send me into a rage. I really need to figure a way to keep my plants cool and humid. Cause the stress is starting to gnaw at me.

Oh well. At least Capensis is doing well!

I used to find this hobby relaxing and fun, but now it is one of the few things that can send me into a rage. I really need to figure a way to keep my plants cool and humid. Cause the stress is starting to gnaw at me.
I'm starting to make plans to relocate to join the crowds of CP'ers in the PNW. :-O

This has been a difficult summer. Hit 103 here today. The ac just cant keep up with those temps and my inside plants (neps, cephs, helis) have taken a hit this year. My sarrs outside are in horrible shape. The electrical bills have been bad this summer. There's no way I could afford to cool an outside greenhouse.

I do what was suggested earlier in the thread for my indoor setup. In the summer I reverse the light cycle to run at night, off in the day. It does help with the temps and keeps the ac from having to work quite as hard. But..they dont get a sharp temp drop when lights out as its still during the warm part of the day. So no matter what they suffer in the summer.

I don't know how those who live in Vegas or Az do this hobby. And yeah..wish I livwd in the pnw again. Perfect area for this hobby.

Back