What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exotic fruit

• Thread starter Slurm
  • Start date
I buy my exotic fruit at a farmers market. My favorite kind so far is the cherimoya(one of the highest sugar concentrations of any fruit, tastes like fruit sherbet) my least favorite has been the notorious durian ('nuff said). Post what unusual fruit you are a fan of. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has accquired a taste for (gag) durian.

I like pummellos, although they really aren't as exotic as you'd think, being a cross between a grapefruit and a tangerine or something. I like them because they're enormous (before you peel them) and taste kind of like strawberry lemonade. They also remind me of the berries that Yoshi eats in Super Mario World. I developed a taste for a lot of wierd fruit when I was on student exchange in Korea, but I don't know what any of it is called. I seem to remember that lotus bulb was pretty tasty pickled, although that's a veggie.
~Joe

I love mangoes and kiwi. Are those exotic enough?

I almost always eat more "exoctic" fruit then not. I readily enjoy lychee, durian (we eat it in the backyard), star fruit, persimins....

I see you are fond of the Annonas than, a large tropical genus.  cherimoya is annona cherimola

I beleve soursop (annona muricata) drinks and ices are  very refreshing, but fresh its rather fiborus
info on this plant

Custard apple (annona squamosa) is also good

BY far and away, most who have tasted the rare The mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) agrees it is amoung one of the worlds finest. Unfortunatly it does not travel well and doesnt want for fruit outside its native area of southeast asia.

Jackfruit is intnteresting, but not one i would call 'good'

I tried Keppel fruit (Stelechocarpus burahol) and it tasted like a spicey mango. MMMMmmm. I think if jumscott likes mangos, he would also like this

Ever  tried Ceam nuts from lecythis pisonis? Really tastey nuts

there's one orange spiky one i hate!

durian?

No, it's a kiwano, also called a horn mellon, they are filled with a sour, bitter, green pulp. They taste rather like sour squash, hate 'em. I also hate durians, or at least the one I bought. It was squishy and a sickly orange color inside, as opposed to a firm white durian. It had the wonderfull aroma of gasoline and rancid cat pee. It tasted like it smelled, probably because it had spent weeks fermenting in a ship from Thailand(where it was grown). I bought the whole 12lb durian for 99cents(another indication it was rotten). I've heard that fresh from the tree durians are expensive deicacies. They don't smell at all when fresh, but after a day they get their trademark scent.

Only exotic fruit I tried was Lychee, since I have Lychee trees in my backyard. They are brown, but like a block from my house are other Lychee trees and their lychees are red. I always wanted to try durian, but you can't import it, cause it smells so bad :p

Pihtaya (Dragon Fruit) juice is really good. Didn't realize it was from a cactus until just recently.

Lychee is really good. Based on family background I've had a lot of weird fruit tossed around-can't remember most of them.

A good Durian has to fall off the tree, if they are picked then they aren't ready and don't taste anywhere near as good as one that is.
Good Durians DO smell, right away, as soon as they fall off the tree.

There are about as many different kinds of Durian as there are apples.
The ones from Thailand are huge and I don't like em that much.
The ones that are grown the most here in Bali tend to taste kind of garlicy and while I love garlic I don't like it in Durians.
The very BESTEST, most delicious Durian that I doubt very many people have tried are from the jungle in Borneo (actually most Durian are, originally). They are only slightly larger than an navel orange and almost white, not yellow. The spikes are curly and when you pick them up they don't hurt because the spikes curl inwards.
They smell sweet sweet sweet and taste heavenly.
The trouble is these ones don't last even 2 days, the tree is quite hard to get growing and they don't bear much fruit. This makes for a fruit that isn't likey to make it into the mass food market anytime soon which is a shame because I am sure it would change a lot of people's minds about eating Durian.

I planted 10 Durian seeds last week and they are already about 15cm tall.
I am trying, VERY hard, to get some seeds of the kind of Durian I talked about above.

Manggis/ Mangosteen are also right up there.
Rambutan are great too, hasn't anyone tried them?
Flipside, you MUST have?

Cheers, Troy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slurm @ May 25 2005,5:08)]Post what unusual fruit you are a fan of. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has accquired a taste for (gag) durian.
Any tropical fruit; mangosteens, mangos, kiwis, strawberries, starfruit, lychee...you name it. I love eating fruits.

Yep, 'dragonfruit' (the one with the black crunchy seeds - Yum!)
smile.gif

My whole family loves eating durian, but I hate it as a result of the smell. Don't think being born in america has anything to do with it though...
smile_l_32.gif

Pretty much any good fruit is on my list. I just really like fruit. I didn't like one rather exotic one that I tried recently though. Can't remember what it was called. It was REALLY sweet, too much for me.

I grow starfruit and papayas in my back yard - they aren't as big as some of the grocery store ones, but they taste a whole lot better.

*waves madly*

Here! Here! A durian fan! And I am VERY picky when it comes to the grade I eat. Yes, grade. No cheap ones like SIN$1 for one but SIN$10 per kilogram type!
smile.gif
That's because I eat durians only when the grade is available during certain season. In that way, I don't burn a hole in my pocket.

The grade I eat? X.O.
smile_n_32.gif

Very bitter and strong in flavour. Just like the liquor! Its flesh is white, compared to the common yellow ones. And it is less "heaty". Anyone who eats durians knows that it can cause sore throat, pimples etc etc. Not unlike taking too much fried food...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

But X.O. ain't the best grade yet, the best I heard is "Cat Mountain King". Not very common here but it is really really good. I tried it last year and will look for it again when durian season is around.

So the mangosteen "queen" must be eaten after the durian "king", to cool the person down. I am a chemist but I totally believe in this sort of stuff. My asian culture.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ May 26 2005,9:05)]Pretty much any good fruit is on my list.  I just really like fruit.  I didn't like one rather exotic one that I tried recently though.  Can't remember what it was called.  It was REALLY sweet, too much for me.
Custard apple?

What the heck, there could be loads of exotic fruits out there sweeter than that...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ May 26 2005,11:08)]So the mangosteen "queen" must be eaten after the durian "king", to cool the person down. I am a chemist but I totally believe in this sort of stuff. My asian culture.  
smile_m_32.gif
You're a chemist? Do you mean that colloquially? Hry, my college buddy / foreign student from Hong Kong gave me a lesson in cutting mangoes along the sides of the huge pit. Then he cut a thatched pattern and inverted the two halves, before eating it. Is that the proper way to deal with thame?

If non-rotten durians were available in the SE US, I probably would like them. I've heard they are good. Can't let one bad food experience(like the mcchickenhead found in mcnuggets by one person a few years back) ruin it for me.

you can grow some tres yourself, like jackfruits.

Back