Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
[MENTION=5343]Not a Number[/MENTION] could you please tell me what media you use for this species and in what humidity they are grown in? I am always struggling with mine. Thanks!

They are grown outdoors so ambient humidity, probably not less than ~40 most of the time, jumping up to ~80% in sometimes early mornings.
50-50 peat/sand or peat/perlite works fine. Tall pots (minimum 6" tall) and they dew up more consistently.

Not a Number

Staff member
D. hamiltonii - They're almost here - by Saturday. Both clones at nearly the same time.

IMGP2250_zps1alcecoc.jpg

IMGP2249_zps5p2vgggz.jpg

:woot: A first for me - D. slackii - the right combination of weather or perhaps the Flower Faerie got tired of all the D. venusta.
IMGP2246_zpsflqfx9at.jpg

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
On the d. helodes which weighs more, the flower stalk or the sundew itself? Dumb question, I know, but I'm curious.

Last edited:
Ok, these are some INSANELY long flower stalks. :0o:

Some plants are just ridiculous; I have several hybrids that have rosettes 3" across, but the inflorescences are nearly always exceeding 18" to 2 feet. The Australian species seem to be especially nutty, no surprise this beauty is the same way :)

Not a Number

Staff member
D. slackii - one of these months the flowers will open. Compare to the photo I posted just over a month ago (see above). Drosera slowii?
IMGP2531_zpspxbrqxjn.jpg

I missed the flower open but still something unique. D. tokaiensis - man-made, white flower hexaploid (fertile)
IMGP2524_zpsjgfegnu2.jpg

IMGP2526_zpscwhjqzan.jpg

I love how not only brevifolia flowers are huge compared to the plant, but the entire inflorescence has those huge glands (great trait that passes readily into its hybrids).