What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Stalk Propagation

• Thread starter Tytrapman
  • Start date
Hey guys, I have a healthy venus fly trap that's growing a flower stalk. It seems the right time to cut it and propogate. My question is can I put the cuttings in a seed tray like the one in this picture? It has a light in the top as well as humidity control. I see many people just doing it in cups, I was wondering if a standard 12 cell tray would work. Also do you cut the "bud" off the top before planting? My soil is a peat, sand, perlite mix

Attachments

• 20230411_105107.jpg
    20230411_105107.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230411_105115.jpg
    20230411_105115.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 6
I haven't tried propagating vft's from flower stalks but if I were to, I would leave the bud intact. I would expect that your seed tray set-up would do just fine. I usually just remove a whole leaf, all the way down to the roots, and put it in moist soil with plenty of light and humidity but I understand how it is a different, and interesting, project to get a flower stalk to sprout out.

I haven't tried propagating vft's from flower stalks but if I were to, I would leave the bud intact. I would expect that your seed tray set-up would do just fine. I usually just remove a whole leaf, all the way down to the roots, and put it in moist soil with plenty of light and humidity but I understand how it is a different, and interesting, project to get a flower stalk to sprout out.
Right I just got the plant less than a month ago, figured it would be interesting to try it. Is 24/7 light okay for the new stalk?

I have seen photos of flower stalks that sprouted new plants so I know it is possible but I don't really know any specifics. When I do the leaf pullings I run them on a regular 12-on, 12-off light cycle. 24/7 might work.

Just got him propagated maybe I'll update this post in a month or so with results

Attachments

• 20230413_111418.jpg
    20230413_111418.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 6
Back