What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering d.intermedia

Hello, my D.intermedia has a flower stalk coming up.

You can see the pics here http://www.pbase.com/sundew/sundew

Ok the problem is that I am going overseas next week (in abt 6 days) for 2 weeks. Will the flower bloom by then? Is it possible to tell by looking at the pics?

Ok, assuming the flowers bloom b4 I leave, how do I get the seeds?

many thanks.
smile.gif

It has a good chance of opening before you leave, but even if it doesn't, I may be wrong, but in my experiance, these usually self pollinate, so no worries!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

So do I get the seeds from the flowers or will the seeds simply drop down themselves?

The seeds will be 'produced' by themselves, as the pollination and production of seeds is all managed by the plant in this case.

Given a certain amount of time and some wind etc. the seeds would likely *drop* by themselves, but seeing as you probably want to place them in a more desireable place, you can harvest them as soon as the seed pods turn dark brown/black and start cracking open.

-noah

Thanks all for the quick replies... just one more query... how long does it take for the seed pods to crack open so I can get the seeds?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eBeyonder @ June 05 2003,11:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks all for the quick replies... just one more query... how long does it take for the seed pods to crack open so I can get the seeds?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
4-6 weeks

Hey Spec, how come you posted that so many times?

Beyonder: I just collected the seeds from my intermedia....HOLY MOLY they make a lot of seeds! Just be ready....You'll have plenty to make trades with.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies
smile.gif

How do I keep the seeds? Shld I refrigerate them? Wrt to sowing, how mnay shld I sow per pot, assuming my pot is 5 cm across? And how far apart shld they be?

wow.gif
5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eBeyonder @ June 09 2003,09
wow.gif
5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks for the replies  
smile.gif

How do I keep the seeds? Shld I refrigerate them? Wrt to sowing, how mnay shld I sow per pot, assuming my pot is 5 cm across? And how far apart shld they be?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oops double-double-double post!
wow.gif
please delete the extra ones mods...
Ebeyonder- Visit http://www.carnivorousplants.org, go to their seed bank area, and look for how to make a seed packet and how to make a seed envelope
smile.gif
. With sowing, don't count the seeds, just scatter them on the pot, most likely you'll end up with only 25% with what you started with (other seedlings dying form damp-off, etc) Yes, refridgerate the seeds.
smile.gif

-Spec

I may as well throw in this pic of my drosera intermedia flowering:
Intermedia.jpg

Back