What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowers on spatulata

I have been waiting for a week or so for my spatulata flowers to open up.  I read on past articles that sometimes they only open in the morning, so I got up to check early this morning and they still looked the same.  I have a picture of them, how they start out and how they look after a little bit.  And I was just wondering if they had already opened and I missed them.  Here they are:

flowerstalk1-small.jpg

Here is a larger, Hi res picture:
Hi Res Picture

Did I miss them flowering already?  It looks like it will open, and will be a light pink coloer, and then it turns into that darker pointed tip.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

The most I have ever caught mine is about half-open. If you blink, you might miss it, it seems. If one looks like it is about to open, I always forget and come back too late. If you check fairly often, you will most likely see it. I don't know if mine open earlier or later in the morning, or even in the afternoon. They are just so quick!

You have missed the one that is a few days old.

here are some of mine, i was lucky to see them, i 2 was waiting for them to open
biggrin.gif

DSCN2108.jpg

Hellz

Yeah, you missed all the older ones. The current bud with the arrow is as open as that one will be. My plants flower best in the early morning, say 8 AM, on days of sun and high humidity. Light is an issue, if the plants don't get enough of it the petals will not open. In any event, seed will be produced.

yea, they usually bloom on hot mornings... I've been seeing 70+ OPEN flowers a day now on my spats!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Thanks guys.  Your flowers look nice Hellz.  That's too bad I missed those.  I do check real often.  Usually not up real early.......on summer vacation from college
biggrin.gif
 I did get up and check it at 6:30 this morning and they were still closed.

Wow Spec! That must be a sight to see! That would make a good picture too.

They get a pretty good amount of light.  The flowers themselves don't get alot of humidity since they have grown tall enough to be out of the terrarium, but the plant itself gets pretty good humdity while the sun is shining directly on it.....up until about 2 o'clock or so.  I was hoping for some nice macro pics  
biggrin.gif
  But I guess as long as I get seeds.......that's what counts.  Thanks for the help guys.

Mine were open in the morning, between 8->10 am.

That's weird...my capillaris (or is it intermidia) has sent up something like 5 flower stalks and, although I hear that they can self pollinate, I can't seem to get any seed, however I am sure I am harvesting at exactly the right time - when the pods are brown right?
confused.gif

Well the next time I see one open I'll do it meself, but they only open like, what, 1/2 an hour? I'm not gonna sit there 24/7 waiting for them...

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed that I didn't get to see any of the flowers. I hope that at least one opens up so I can see them. There are a few more to go, and two more flower stalks coming up too. I also have my D. Rotundifolia sending up a few stalks too, so hopefully they will open up and I will get to see some nice flowers.

I typically see flowers open around noon in my environment.

What kind of environment do you have?

Back