What's new

2021 NASC Benefit Auction!

Review the rules in the 2021 NASC Benefit Auction forum. Listing and bidding for the NASC auction begins in
2021 NASC auction is LIVE! List items and bid now, thanks for your support!

Good Space Fillers For Terrarium

dionae

sarracenia lover
What are some good plants that can fill space in a terrarium. I'm looking for something that maybe vines out???. Any suggestions?

This ivy grows ridiculously fast. You cover shipping and you can have all of it you want..

IMG_8447.jpg

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Miniature orchids. For LL tanks, use phalenopsis and bulbophyllum.

Not generally if you plan on planting them in the media. As mounts is a better idea.

Depends on how much you're willing to do to keep the 'filler' in check. Many will very quickly try to take over the entire tank. (Witness Mass's ivy -- though I've always found ivies to be major spider mite magnets ....).

If you want rampant growth and don't mind "weeding" regularly:
Selaginella
ferns
Ficus pumila

If you want slower growers:
bromeliads
african violets
some types of orchids

Really depends on what you want and how much money you consider reasonable.

merrychristmasemoticon.gif

dionae

sarracenia lover
Thank you for all of the suggestions and Mass are you willing to ship regular mail?

If you're talkin CP terrarium, Utrics are great & they flower. Also you could try LFS moss for any terrarium. I have some miniature ferns that i use in my terrariums, too, that send out runners but are slow growing. there are also some tropical miniature begonias that love terrarium conditions. A lot depends on how damp/soggy your terrarium's conditions are going to be & what kind of planting medium you're using.

dionae

sarracenia lover
Just to give a lil info all of my plants will be in pots. I plan on filling the terrarium to the rim of the pots with LFS. I just want companion plants and space fillers to give a more natural look:). Thanks again for all of the suggestions and I will search all of the plants and see what I like. Thanks!