What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Space Fillers For Terrarium

dionae

sarracenia lover
What are some good plants that can fill space in a terrarium. I'm looking for something that maybe vines out???. Any suggestions?

This ivy grows ridiculously fast. You cover shipping and you can have all of it you want..

IMG_8447.jpg

Miniature orchids. For LL tanks, use phalenopsis and bulbophyllum. For HLs masdevallias.

Miniature orchids. For LL tanks, use phalenopsis and bulbophyllum.

Not generally if you plan on planting them in the media. As mounts is a better idea.

Depends on how much you're willing to do to keep the 'filler' in check. Many will very quickly try to take over the entire tank. (Witness Mass's ivy -- though I've always found ivies to be major spider mite magnets ....).

If you want rampant growth and don't mind "weeding" regularly:
Selaginella
ferns
Ficus pumila

If you want slower growers:
bromeliads
african violets
some types of orchids

Really depends on what you want and how much money you consider reasonable.

merrychristmasemoticon.gif

Thank you for all of the suggestions and Mass are you willing to ship regular mail?

I was looking for suggestions too. Philodenrons might work as well.

Philodendrons can get quite large, I wouldn't use them in anything smaller than a 75G except a select few.

Thank you for all of the suggestions and Mass are you willing to ship regular mail?

I'm willing to ship however you wanna pay for buddy ol' pal.

If you're talkin CP terrarium, Utrics are great & they flower. Also you could try LFS moss for any terrarium. I have some miniature ferns that i use in my terrariums, too, that send out runners but are slow growing. there are also some tropical miniature begonias that love terrarium conditions. A lot depends on how damp/soggy your terrarium's conditions are going to be & what kind of planting medium you're using.

Just to give a lil info all of my plants will be in pots. I plan on filling the terrarium to the rim of the pots with LFS. I just want companion plants and space fillers to give a more natural look:). Thanks again for all of the suggestions and I will search all of the plants and see what I like. Thanks!

Back