What's new

2021 NASC Benefit Auction!

Review the rules in the 2021 NASC Benefit Auction forum. Listing and bidding for the NASC auction begins in
2021 NASC auction is LIVE! List items and bid now, thanks for your support!

Green Substance!!!

on my soil pucks/pots i have a green substance growing its almost an algae or moss or some sort of matter like that...well i asked a local garden store and they said if i had baking soda in my water and wate the soil with that mixture the green matter will go away
confused.gif
can someone help me out!??!!?

L

Leiopo

I think I have the same problem - it's a green coloration lightly on the surface of the potting medium right? The VFT doesn't seem to mind it at all though. Just growing happily.

Yep--on my medium I've some green also. I believe it's moss and won't bother a mature VFT. I think it may bother seedlings or maybe other CPs.
-peace
Eric

I have it on one of my VFTs as well. It has been there a while now, and some of it appears to be turning into moss, as I think it will all do.

Just sit it out I reckon (unless the plants start suffering).

DON'T water with baking soda! Have you ever used baking soda as a remedy for acid indigestion? Baking soda is a base and will remove the acidity from your soil... not good for CP's. Geez, I hope I didn't over react there. I would just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't have any adverse effects on your VFT. Repot as a last resort.