What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from Austin, Texas

• Thread starter DRBeck
  • Start date
This perhaps should have been my first stop, but I don't tend to follow instructions. Regardless, the people I have talked with have been friendly and helpful. Better late than never... I'm new to cp's, could use all the help I can get, and want to learn!

Thanks,
DRBeck ~ David

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

:welcome: Nice to meet you David :)

Greetings, all the same, David. Some never do an introduction thread but it is nice to hear about the new people who come to TF. I am always wondering what they grow and what their interests are.

Welcome to TF!

Welcome to the addiction, I mean hobby David! What cps do you like and grow?

Sent from my SM-S550TL using Tapatalk

Well first of all, thank you! I'm really brand new to the addiction. So far I've only been exposed personally to the common vft and a couple of different pitchers. I get so little sun (and bad information) I tried to grow them in a terrarium. All died quickly. I've done quite a bit of research since then and I believe I have designed a terrarium (engineering is my 'thing') which will address all of the common issues - except dormancy. I have been told these are very poor choices for terrariums, but I hope to prove that wrong. Unfortunately I injured my back and am just shy of completion and I am about ready to plant. Now that you have my life memoirs... sorry I rambled. Thanks again!

I've been growing flytraps in terraria for years so I know it is doable. In fact it can be a good way to produce large specimen plants. It is nice that you are of the engineering type because a terrarium can require a lot of tweaking to get just right. But once you understand the variables you can set up systems/methods to deal with them.

Sorry I haven't followed up. I was just getting accustomed to the app and group before I badly injured my back and then got sick. Time to get back into the swing of things!

I still have some drilling and painting of the aluminum bars I cut to adhere my LED's to and they also support my 4" fan. But I was wondering what suggestions there may be on cooling my terrarium down when it's time for dormancy. I would also like to know how cool the plants (in general) need to be and how cool is too cool. Thanks!

Back