What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I'm toying with the idea and found a hobbyist selling some seeds of dews I'd like to try, specifically:

D. aliciae, D. capillaris, and D. pulchella.

I've also been wanting to try germinating really any CP from seed so I think this would be a good opportunity to attempt it while not burning a huge hole in my pocket. I'm also under the impression that these are at least relatively easy species to cultivate.

I have been reading the ICPS pages on these guys as well as Tamlin's threads on growing drosera from seed. I still have a few questions though.

1) Tamlin mentioned using food containers (tupperware?) as a pot. How would one go about sterilizing them for CP use? The ICPS page also recommends wrapping the pot in plastic to prevent fungus and other pests from getting at the seedlings. Would sealing the container suffice?

2) Can the seeds be stored for an extended period of time? Obviously it would have to be within reason but I am wondering if I could have a back up plan in case I screw up.

3) I've seen the word "stratification" thrown around and while I do understand the meaning behind the process, would it be needed for these species? Any good articles on how to best do it you could point me to?

4) Just to make sure, shipping SEEDS from Europe to the US does not require any permits, certificates, etc. correct?

I apologize for all the questions but doing it right the first time is always the goal.

Last edited:
This is what I do for sundew seeds:

Picture004-5.jpg

You have seeds for D. pulchella, and not gemmae?

No stratification is required for any of the above. Sow some seeds for now and wait a month. See what happens. Try a different approach if it doesn't work out.

Importing seeds is illegal unless one has an ePermit. The permit is free. You just have to g through the motions of applying for one. See the current topic with a copy of my permit.

I have mine in a pot in a tray with water, no baggies or whatever, from what i've read dews don't need 100% humidity, and as small as they are there has to be enough humidity just above the soil from evaporation.
Wrapping it up wont stop fungi, spores are allrdy present and wrapping it up will only help it grow faster.
The only way that would work is sterilize everything before you isolate it, basicly germinating it in vitro :p
I just add some spaghnum in my soil mix, i rarely get fungus that way.

1) If the food containers are new there should be no need to sterilize, if used a good washing will probably be enough,

2)Seeds can be stored for years if kept in the fridge and kept dry - I stored mine folded in paper and with some desiccant units like you find in pill bottles.

3)Stratification can require different protocols depending on which species. Drosera pulchella seed is very stubborn and I have little experience in germinating pygmy sundew seed. Probably a hot stratification over the summer months would help. The other species you mention don't need any.

4) I believe any imports into the U.S. even from Canada need to have permits in place if you wish to be legal

As long as the seeds are not of restricted taxon, no more than 50 seeds or 10 grams of any one taxon (do you really want 50 coconuts?), and no more than 50 separate taxon per shipment then you can use the small seed lot import permit. See jimscott's posts for details. Yes, it is free but currently in order to activate the permit you are required to show in person an ID at the nearest authorized USDA office which can be hours away depending on where you live. CITES taxon require an additional permit ($70).

Many species will germinate faster in high humid, warm conditions, but again it depends on the species. Covering or sealing you pots also prevents fungus gnat infestation, the larvae of which love to munch on tiny roots, root hairs and seedlings.

Meh, even if it's free I am not sure I want to go through the permit process. I'll just find seeds from a domestic source.

But thanks for answering my questions! I'll no doubt be trying seeds of some sort in the near future.

Back