What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helioamphora vs cephalotus

Cephs are easier for me in my growing conditions. Heli's are a very different story:

I once had three species and hybrids of Heli's and they never produced one adult pitcher in 2½ years of "growing". I could not get my conditions both light enough and cool enough for Heli's I guess. Plus the high humidity requirements encouraged far too many molds, fugus etc.

I had to sell/trade them away a while back. Too bad too, they're such beautiful plants when grown well. :(

I'm envious of those that CAN grow Heli's well.

Cephs are easier for me in my growing conditions. Heli's are a very different story:

I once had three species and hybrids of Heli's and they never produced one adult pitcher in 2½ years of "growing". I could not get my conditions both light enough and cool enough for Heli's I guess. Plus the high humidity requirements encouraged far too many molds, fugus etc.

I had to sell/trade them away a while back. Too bad too, they're such beautiful plants when grown well. :(

I'm envious of those that CAN grow Heli's well.

If you can manage highland conditions to accommodate, say, Nepenthes, you can also very easily grow Heliamphora and Cephalotus in that same setting. Also, the only reason that your Heliamphora didn't produce adult leaves had nothing to do with your cultivation; they were simply too young.

I have had some species -- H. exappendiculata and H. glabra -- which took upwards of three years or more to produce their first adult pitchers . . .

Back