What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heres a question

what do you do with an orchid that is no longer growing in the pot but is growing fine and flowering on a regular basis? i have very nice Oncidium that creeped right out of the pot about 4 or 5 psuedoobulbs ago. the original ones that where there when i bought the plant are still in the pot. its roots from the new "bulbs" are just hanging in the air. i spray them with water and fertilizer now and then but nothing major its about the most abused plant i have. its sitting in a north window that untill i got more orchids recently didnt have any extra light. now it has a 4 ft ligh fixture over it. i keep meaning to repot it when its done blooming but by the time i cut off a flower stalk a new one has already appeared. it looks so healthy ive just let it go.

Rattler

Lots of orchids do better potbound and that one's an extreme example. Many non-orchids will bloom better if potbound too. I guess your Onc is now a combination of a potted and mounted orchid. I had one like that once and I think it was an Onc too. I've never had any success with that genus or its intergenerics, however, so I traded it. But it was an eyecatching foliage plant.

Back