What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hormex Rooting Hormone?

Hello there, so after a few years of not growing VFTs, the bug has come back and I decided to give it another try. I've been reading up and doing my homework this time around so hopefully I won't make any more amateur mistakes. I ordered a couple of bare root plants from ___ and they are arriving tomorrow. I read that submerging the roots in some sort of rooting hormone solution for 15 minutes helps the plants get over transplant shock more quickly. I have some liquid Hormex Growth Hormone that appears to have the same ingredients as Superthrive (since it is apparently illegal to buy in Minnesota) and I was wondering if it will be safe for my plants? The directions say to use 2 tablespoons of Hormex per gallon of water... anyone know if that is too much or does anyone have any other suggestions of what amount to use? any help would be appreciated!

John

I don't have any experience using rooting hormones of VFTs, so I can't help you there, but I will say that I don't think you need to go to that extreme. Your VFTs will grow roots just fine on their own if they are happy in their situation. As far as I can tell in my own experience, transplanting doesn't hurt them at all. I'm a bit brutal with mine when I put them into new medium at the end of winter, and they always come back without a hitch and multiply.

Back