What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how difficult is it to root an amp cutting?

well my spotted amp hit about a foot and a half tall. since i dont have room for building a larger chamber at the moment and the amp has basals and some side shoots are erruppting i chopped the top 14 inches of so of the vine, trimmed all but leaves off, slit the vine about an inch or so and stuck it in a deep pot of LFS.

also chopped up my veitchii as it was looking ragged from a couple moves to different spots and it had a basal at soil level. foot and a half of vine into 3 cuttings. hopefully this one will look nicer next year as it wont be moved.

I have rooted a Dark spotted amp with just 1 node and 1cm of stem both under and over the node.

Hey Rattler,

I've only done cuttings of my amp once, but all three rooted very easily. If I remember correctly, I did use rooting hormones, but I don't think that was needed. I think they were fully rooted within two months.

Can't be too difficult. I was sent one this summer and it is still sending out new leaves. No rooting hormone was used. It struggled initially to adjust. The existing leaves and pitchers died, but after a couple months it was producing new leaves.

thanks, for some reason i was thinking they were a difficult species to root.

Hi. I also use rooting hormone (Seradix) mix with fungicide 1:1. 1 node cutting gives rather small pitcher to compare with tip cutting.  The most important for success is to select only growing vine esp. while it grows like crazy. I use peatmosss or coconut husk. Put them in airtight plastic bag with 1 inch water . Leave them in bright light but not direct sunlight.
   Nong Thailand
DSC079951_resize.jpg

Tip with 3-4 leaves attached develop rooting system faster . May be brcause the attached leaves photosynthesize and produce energy for new cells creation .
am_cutting2.jpg

Here is mmy red amp. Notice full leaves were kept while propagate.

To compare with 1 node cutting and the leaf was nearly wholecut
am_cutting3.jpg

Hey Nong, welcome! See you decided to join. Nice avatar BTW.

I think if you make a cutting with more leaves/nodes you got give it more light - otherwise it will not develop a good root system to support all the nodes/leaves.

Whereas if it has only 1 node, then it does not need to form a big root system. Thus it does not need to photosynthesize as much (to build new cells as Nong says), hence lower ligth levels.

Back