What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I know when when flowers are ready?

• Thread starter Jhunt
  • Start date
How would I know when the flower is supposed to be ready?

The petals are wet and producing nectar. The apartment smell like a musty locker room filled with corn chips.

However the flowers don't seem sticky, the pollen I try to apply just falls right off. Hoe long am I suppose to wait after they open?

Attachments

• 20230511_174755.jpg
    20230511_174755.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 7
Odd, looks like it should be receptive now. Maybe you're applying too much. All that is needed is a very thin dusting of pollen on the stigma.

I see pollen on the red, so I'm just making sure that you're trying to place the pollen on the tip in blue.
Screenshot_20230513_220413_Chrome.jpg

Odd, looks like it should be receptive now. Maybe you're applying too much. All that is needed is a very thin dusting of pollen on the stigma.

Oh so I'm not supposed to be coating the entire flower? Thank you. I was other the impression that I was supposed to pack pollen on the flowers. Some people gave advice that they add pollen everyday for a week.

Don't apply the nectar to the stigma, only the pollen.

Oh good catch DragonsEye! @Jhunt, you know you need two plants in flower at the same time (or saved pollen): a male and a female. No Nepenthes has both, you need to take pollen from a Male Nep and move it to the stigma (blue circle) of a female.

Yes, I have pollen from my singalana x truncata. I didn't touch the nectar.

I will try applying a light dusting of pollen vs trying to cover the entire stigma.

Back