What's new

2021 NASC Benefit Auction!

Review the rules in the 2021 NASC Benefit Auction forum. Listing and bidding for the NASC auction begins in
2021 NASC auction is LIVE! List items and bid now, thanks for your support!

How long?

Just about how long can highlander nep's live without the night temp' drop?

And another question:
what exactly is considered a ultra highlander?

Typical highlanders will grow fine without a major temp drop.

Ultrahighlanders are plants from very high altitudes that require cool day temps (60-70° F) and dramatic (20° F) drops at night. Examples are villosa and rajah.

-D. Lybrand

"Typical highlanders will grow fine without a major temp drop."//dlybrand

So what temps can they grow in??

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
well i know a few like N. ventricosa, N. tobaica, and N. sanguinea grow great in lowland conditions.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnall
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 14 2005,7:22)]well i know a few like N. ventricosa, N. tobaica, and N. sanguinea grow great in lowland conditions.
perhaps because all 3 of those have lowland forms

D.lybrand, are you sure rajah is an ultrahighlander? Not the last time I checked, its considered a fussy typical highlander that grows slowly

i am growing my typical highlanders(bongso, veitchii, the jac hybrid, ect) with high 70's/low 80s during the day and low 60s during the night which isnt hard to do if you like sleeping on the cool side like my wife and i do.

So I understand there is no something strict that makes a nep’ an ultra highlander? And the altitude has no effect because there are some types that need the temp drop more then others such as rajah in comparison to villosa?

schloaty

Staff member
@nd, the altitude range in which one finds the neps growing in the wild generally dictates the temperature range they like to grow in.

I know someone posted a chart once about what altitudes constituted what classification (lowland, intermediate, etc)

Some plants are good at adapting to conditions that aren't really indicitive of their natural ranges, and some aren't, so your question would be best asked about a specific species that of "highlanders" in general.

My BIG rajahs grow in day time of 80 degrees and night time of (currently) 75-70 degrees F night. Not so ULTRA high (I live at about 200 feet from sealevel.
Hawaii is very lowland, especially where I am from.

I believe there are two temperature forms. One is greenhouse and the other is ultra highland.
Greenhouse = ventricosa, albomarginata, veitchii, rajah, burbidgeae, ampullaria, maxima, tobaica, bicalcarata, etc.

Michael