What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Much Light?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
How much light do sundew seeds (generally) need for germination? I thought I read something by PAK about them not needing much light. Did I misread that?

I haven't read any studies but I'm sure they exist. I suppose it depends on the species.

Some plants will germinate with no light at all. Some need light and dark periods. Some will germinate with 24 hour light periods. Some no doubt need higher light levels than others.

I'd hazard to guess that as long as the seeds get some light, light levels aren't that important for most Drosera until after the seed germinates.

I'm just amazed at how well some things germinate with no intentional efforts of my own (sedge) and how stubborn the intentional ones are (D. ordensis).

Hey Jim,
Last week I was looking at my pot of ordensis seeds I planted in August and there are two tiny seedlings starting to grow.I could only find them with an eye loup I had bought to use when I was heavy flyfishing for trout so don't give up hope yet,
Mark W.

Thanks, Mark, I'll just keep them as they are. In the meantime, the dried LFS that I put on top of the pot, upon sprinkling the seeds, is now a beautiful, lush green and red! If nothing else, I have successfully propogated LFS!

Back