What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hybrids by Fred P

S. 'Leah Wilkerson' x flava var. rubricorpora

Last edited:
Those are turning out interesting.
Sorry for the foggy pictures, humid greenhouses do that, but here are some pics of the more impressive plants from the seedlings I have:
S. purpurea venosa burkii "Chipola" x typical: this one survivor has gotten large, fast, and very colorful

S. 'Royal Ruby' x 'Adrian Slack: 2 seedligns shown, one is getting very thick, wide mouth and open up very pale pinkish, but age out to form deep red veins, and the other seems to have the ruby pitcher with the Slack lid, and bright areoles

S. x catesbaei "Monster" x purpurea 'Red Ruffles': the biggest of the seedlings has a very wide, ruffled lid, and the color is bright yellow with deep red, contrasting veins, which coalesce on the upper pitcher under the lip to form a nearly solid red zone

I also have 'Leah Wilkerson' x 'Royal Ruby', but so far they haven't really colored up yet. The few that have are showing either LW throat colors, or very reddened bodies.

Got some updates for a few plants
S. purpurea venosa burkii "Chipola" x typical is getting very fat, very fast

And I've got at least a few winners in the S. 'Royal Ruby' x 'Adrian Slack' batch. First, this stately plant, which often takes on a red blushing like alata rubrioperculata

And this one has snowflake pale lids which blush shades of crimson as they age

And last but not least, this one hit the jackpot: the 'Royal Ruby' flushed pitcher tubes with the white-with-red-veins 'Adrian Slack' lid

:D

Looking good HC!

Since they change so much as they age, more shots:
First, progress pics on the S. purp burkii "Chipola" x typical: younger pitcher

And older pitcher:

Finally decided to share the 'Leah Wilkerson' x 'Royal Ruby'

And more of the 'Royal Ruby' x 'Adrian Slack': the tallest, most colorful one first

This one I'm thinking about calling "Ruby Lips" as that and the veins are the only things that turn deep red

And one that has just begun showing its potential, bright pinks with the white lid

Also, a comparison shot: the lid of the one above, and a sibling the same size. They both started out with pale lids only barely blushed crimson, now look at the difference

An update on my batch of S. 'Hurricane Creek White' x 'Adrian Slack' plants from Fred.

Here they are during dormancy for cleaning up and repotting in early 2012:
P2190017.jpg

Here they are earlier today for cleaning up and repotting. This is 2 years later after the photo was taken above... They were all in one group pot. So, I decided to give them so more space to let them really take off this year. :)
bKS09Md.jpg

KRmqDJl.jpg

The larger ones:
SBlEMeG.jpg

All potted up with lots of room to grow:
SVu0Gl4.jpg

Here are some pictures of them from the 2013 growing season:

j6l3ca7.jpg

OHTByKF.jpg

o0nsFQb.jpg

yaTsYZ7

8IFL8br.jpg

skFbNhA.jpg

ivfwEOs.jpg

uKqg6ai.jpg

Seems the 'AS' has the tendency to pass on the veining of the lid no matter the hybrid. The washed out colors on your cross certainly show this, and nice plants too!
Still can't get enough of the 'Royal Ruby' x 'Adrian Slack' seedlings:
Really tall, thin plant with lots of pale colors

The clone with the red tube and dark lid veins

"Ruby Lips"

"Pinkie" :)

Very nice plants Hawken and Joel.

Some of hybrids by Fred I have in my collection...

S. 'Judith Hindle' x 'Leah Wilkerson':
EW8IBFe.jpg

ElFlTNY.jpg

Another S. 'Judith Hindle' x 'Leah Wilkerson':
6dRSwWB.jpg

And finally, S. purp var purp [Oakland Co., MI] x 'Leah Wilkerson':
TO5byH0.jpg

8jcIvAr.jpg

Those are very nice. I really like the jh x lw. Looks awesome.

Very cool! I really like those Purp Montana x leucophylla.

Gonna keep sharing :D
S. purpurea burkii "Chipola" x typical still getting fatter:

The x catesbaei "Monster" x purpurea 'Red Ruffles' here is still very promising. Older pitcher:

And the newbie

Also, I am positive now I hit the jackpot on the 'Royal Ruby' x 'Adrian Slack' cross. The pink-lidded clone is nice, color sort of fades out down the tube, washed out pink in the throat too

But this one wins. It has the areolated, deep pink tube, and the white-and-red-veins lid of the Slack parent

Cant wait to see how this one looks when it starts hitting 2 feet plus...

Those are very nice!

Couple updates!
S. purp burkii "Chipola" x typical just keeps getting fatter

"Pink Blushed" 'Royal ruby' x 'Adrian Slack' showing off a scarlet throat stripe too

And the crown jewel of the Ruby x Slack batch, going from pink with the white lid to deep magenta and maroon tube, with blood veins through the lid

Decided to update again:
The biggest of my 'Leah Wilkerson' x 'Royal Ruby' sent out a pitcher twice the diameter of any of my other moorei, and is looking seriously promising now

Also, here's the pink blushed 'Royal Ruby' x 'Adrian Slack' before coloring up:

And after:

The tall, dark one

An the skinniest plant in the RR x AS cross-very elegant

Lastly, the x catesbaei "Monster" x purp 'Red Ruffles' big pitcher coloring up

Looking good.

I put together a couple progression pictures. I got these seedlings from Eric (dionae) who told me they came from Fred P's seeds, so I wanted to share these great plants with all you.

S. leucophylla x flava ornata. This is the same pitcher from the day it opened to now.

S. alata nigropurpurea x 'Leah Wilkerson'. The Oct. pitcher is a different pitcher then the Jan and Feb ones. It was the only picture I had of a newly opened one.

S. Wilkersons Red x alata red/black) x Adrian Slack

S. Leah Wilkerson x flava var rubricorpora

Very impressive colors! I like the deep tube and the areoles on the leuco x flava ornata, but the tube on the Leah x rubri are so gorgeously solid red!

Back