What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ibicella lutea

My ibicella lutea is getting big and is blooming away. i hope i get seeds this year heres some pictures.

IMG_1263.jpg

Hi Homer,
can I just ask you: Whats the soil requirements for this plant? Ive heard somewhere to put it in normal compost soil, but Im not sure if this is right....
Nice plant, Il sow my seeds soon aswell
smile.gif

Dino

P.S
Since I have a heated greenhouse, I can keep this in the full sun section for more then a year
biggrin.gif

you should sow them now!! Because they need to flower and seed in time well u have a greenhouse but they dont hang to well over the winter either way they seem to like the outdoors. Ok heres how to do it just plant in something like miracle gro soil its great for these guys! I was EXTREMELY lucky this year as last years plant never seeded so i thought i wouldnt have one. but here some how there was a seed in a pot of another cp that must of not grown from last year and here it sprouted this year because i found 2 that grew in this pot randomly and i seen it and i was like hey its a ibicella. just plant and as the heat and humidity come it will make the plant grow.

Didnt last year you wanted me to write a page on growing them to post as a sticky? MAybe i should if i get some time. You can ask me all you want about them. just plant them and give them heat.

Problem is with the UK is there arnt usually long periods of hot weather(which are ideal times to sow ibiccela) so Im still waiting for the opputunity. When theres hot and sunny weather next Il sow them......its been raining heavily yesterday and the day before, today theres some sun but its windy and cool

Carnivorkid, how tall/wide is your plant? I'm thinking about growing these indoors under fluorescent lights, but from the pic, it looks like the plant is 2' tall (and getting bigger)!

Thanks.

well its only a foot tall now and about 8 inches across. IT looks bigger then it is. Ya that is true about the UK.

well I sowed the seeds today
smile.gif

I used good quality potting soil with a bit of sand thrown in, and Ive made the soil wet and placed the seeds on the top.
We finally have a string of warm weather, HOORAY!!
smile.gif

It was hot yesterday, its hot today too, tommorow its supposed to be really scorching, and its supposed to be hot on wednesday and thursday aswell, with plenty of sunshine

Starman, be sure to keep those seeds nice and moist, though! My recent experiment leads me to believe it's more important than high heat. Moderate temp and light and good humidity were the ticket for mine to sprout.

ya it should be fine. definately keep moist.

and now my ibicella has like a hundred flowers in a huge cluster . completly amazing

Pics carnivore kid?
confused.gif
(sounds cool!) Mine are just starting to get their first real leaves (ie, not the cotyledons.)

Back